[NatureNS] Avon River causeway

Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 10:09:36 -0300
From: james simpson <desolatechair@gmail.com>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--20cf300fb215431c6504e22d81fd

David

I've lived on the Minas Basin for many years and the changes have been
profound.  Clearly artificially changing flow patterns by building
structures like the Windsor Causeway have an impact.  However whether it's
fully responsible for all the changes e.g. the erosion you mentioned, or
the significant growth and obstruction in the bar between Hantsport and
Bramber shore I'm not so sure.

My point re the salt marsh was simply 'it's an ill wind that blows no
good'  - out of an ill advised causeway construction has come a large,
highly productive salt marsh ecosystem that should be considered in any
conversation about the ultimate fate of the causeway.

Regards

Jamie Simpson

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 11:46 PM, David Patriquin <patriqui@dal.ca> wrote:

> [...]
>> east/seaward side.  Which I think is desirable habitat that if the
>> causeway was removed might wash away.=C5=A0>
>> On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 9:14 PM, John and Nhung  wrote:
>>
>> Down our end of the province, where the pickerel and smallmouth
>> black bass roam, some of these dams are desirable barriers to keep
>> these unwanted monsters away from  native stocks.
>>
>> =C5=A0>
>> FROM: naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca
>> [mailto:naturens-owner@**chebucto.ns.ca <naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca>]
>> ON BEHALF OF Dusan Soudek
>> SENT: July-18-13 4:12 PM
>> TO: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
>>
>> SUBJECT: Re: [NatureNS] Removal of Veazie Dam Impediment from
>> Penobscot River
>>
>> =C5=A0>
>>
>> =C5=A0>
>>
>> Paul,
>>

>>    yes, I stand --partially-- corrected. The dam and the
>> associated powerhouse on the Mushamush were abandoned by NSP due to
>> the projected expense of repairs to it. But the structure was
>> eventually removed for environmental reasons.
>>

>>    Another abandoned and dismantled hydro dam in N.S. that comes
>> to mind is at The Falls on Waughs River. The site now has a new
>>
> fish
>
>> ladder. The falls are spectacular, especially at high water!
>>

>>    Dusan Soudek=C5=A0>
>> On July 18, 2013 at 3:07 PM Paul MacDonald  wrote:
>>
>> Hi Dusan
>>

>> I don't know about the others but the one on the Mushamush
>>

>> was for environmental reasons. If it was up to NS Power
>>

>> they would have left it to rot away! I had some first hand
>> knowledge
>>

>> of how that worked!
>>

>> Enjoy the summer
>>

>> Paul
>>

>> =C5=A0>
>> =C5=A0>
>> FROM: Dusan Soudek
>> TO: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
>> SENT: Thursday, July 18, 2013 2:45:37 PM
>> SUBJECT: Re: [NatureNS] Removal of Veazie Dam Impediment from
>> Penobscot River
>>

>> =C5=A0>
>>    A number of smaller hydro dams in Nova Scotia have been
>> decommissioned over the last few decades. They include ones on
>> Liscomb River (Powerhouse Falls), East River (near the community of
>> East River), Mushamush River (Clearland), Medway River (Salter
>> Falls), Barrington River, and elsewhere. But all of these closures
>> took rplace because of economic reasons, not environmental ones...
>>

>>    Dusan Soudek=C5=A0>
>> On July 18, 2013 at 2:20 PM james simpson  wrote:
>>
>> You may have seen this re opening of the Penobscot to the sea for
>> the first time in almost 200 years.  The benefits to river ecology
>> are pretty profound.
>>
>> Any initiatives or opportunities for this kind of remediation in
>> NS?
>>
>> http://asf.ca/you-are-invited-**to-veazie-dam-event.html<http://asf.ca/y=
ou-are-invited-to-veazie-dam-event.html>

he Minas Basin for many years and the changes have been profound.=C2=A0 Cle=
arly artificially changing flow patterns by building structures like the Wi=
ndsor Causeway have an impact.=C2=A0 However whether it&#39;s fully respons=
ible for all the changes e.g. the erosion you mentioned, or the significant=
 growth and obstruction in the bar between Hantsport and Bramber shore I&#3=
9;m not so sure.<br>
hat blows no good&#39;=C2=A0 - out of an ill advised causeway construction =
has come a large, highly productive salt marsh ecosystem that should be con=
sidered in any conversation about the ultimate fate of the causeway.<br>
t 11:46 PM, David Patriquin <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:patriqu=
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">&quot;salt marsh on the east/seaward side...=
desirable habitat that if the causeway was removed might wash away&quot;<br=

But it might also reduce erosion on/restore Evangeline Beach...<br>
Coastlines (and rivers) are naturally dynamic; we mess them up when we put =
fixed structures on them and then &quot;protect&quot; those structures from=
 erosion.<br>
Quoting Dusan Soudek &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:soudekd@ns.sympatico.ca" target=
=3D"_blank">soudekd@ns.sympatico.ca</a>&gt;:<br>
=C2=A0=C2=A0 About the Avon River causeway in Windsor: Yes, it completely<b=
r>
changed thedynamics of tidal flow in the Avon River estuary.=C2=A0The net<b=
r>
effect was a reduction in flows, hence less turbuence and more silt<br>
deposition.<br>
=C2=A0=C2=A0 Something very similar happened in Moncton. Construction of th=
e<br>
Petitcodiac Causeway=C2=A0 caused a reduction in the height of the tidal<br=

bores, and narrowing of the river channel downstream of the causeway.<br>
The causeway is still there, but is now permanently open. The<br>
anadromous fish are happy, I am sure, riverside property owners<br>
upstream of the causeway less so. Now their lands border a tidal<br>
marsh, and no longer a freshwater reservoir...<br>
=C2=A0=C2=A0 Dusan Soudek<br>
=C5=A0<br>
On July 19, 2013 at 10:42 AM james simpson =C2=A0wrote:<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
The Halfway River in Hantsport has two dams owned by Minas Basin<br>
P&amp;P<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
and an abateau that pretty much block everything.=C2=A0 I spoke to a<br>
DFO<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
person two years ago and they were keen to try and and restock it<br>
with Atlantic Salmon spawn from the Gaspereau River as the<br>
watersheds were very similar geologically etc.=C2=A0 Some work was done<br>
on one of the dams to build a ladder but it seems to have ground to<br>
a halt.<br>
=C2=A0Also re the Avon River...It&#39;s interesting that the causeway, whil=
e<br>
an obvious impediment, seems to have had the serendipitous effect<br>
of<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
creating a significant (~100 hectares) salt marsh on the<br>
east/seaward side.=C2=A0 Which I think is desirable habitat that if the<br>
causeway was removed might wash away.=C5=A0&gt;<br>
On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 9:14 PM, John and Nhung =C2=A0wrote:<br>
Down our end of the province, where the pickerel and smallmouth<br>
black bass roam, some of these dams are desirable barriers to keep<br>
these unwanted monsters away from=C2=A0 native stocks.<br>
=C5=A0&gt;<br>
FROM: <a href=3D"mailto:naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca" target=3D"_blank">na=
turens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca</a><br>
[mailto:<a href=3D"mailto:naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca" target=3D"_blank">=
SENT: July-18-13 4:12 PM<br>
TO: <a href=3D"mailto:naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" target=3D"_blank">naturens@c=
hebucto.ns.ca</a><br>
SUBJECT: Re: [NatureNS] Removal of Veazie Dam Impediment from<br>
Penobscot River<br>
=C5=A0&gt;<br>
=C5=A0&gt;<br>
Paul,<br>
=C2=A0=C2=A0 yes, I stand --partially-- corrected. The dam and the<br>
associated powerhouse on the Mushamush were abandoned by NSP due to<br>
the=C2=A0projected expense of repairs to it. But the structure was<br>
eventually removed for environmental reasons.<br>
=C2=A0=C2=A0 Another abandoned and dismantled hydro dam in N.S. that comes<=
br>
to mind is at The Falls on Waughs River. The site now has a new<br>
fish<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
ladder. The falls are spectacular, especially at high water!<br>
=C2=A0=C2=A0 Dusan Soudek=C5=A0&gt;<br>
On July 18, 2013 at 3:07 PM Paul MacDonald =C2=A0wrote:<br>
Hi Dusan<br>
I don&#39;t know about the others but the one on the Mushamush<br>
was for environmental reasons. If it was up to NS Power<br>
they would have left it to rot away! I had some first hand<br>
knowledge<br>
of how that worked!<br>
Enjoy the summer<br>
Paul<br>
=C5=A0&gt;<br>
=C5=A0&gt;<br>
FROM: Dusan Soudek<br>
TO: <a href=3D"mailto:naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" target=3D"_blank">naturens@c=
hebucto.ns.ca</a><br>
SENT: Thursday, July 18, 2013 2:45:37 PM<br>
SUBJECT: Re: [NatureNS] Removal of Veazie Dam Impediment from<br>
Penobscot River<br>
=C5=A0&gt;<br>
=C2=A0=C2=A0 A number of smaller hydro dams in Nova Scotia have been<br>
decommissioned over the last few decades. They include ones on<br>
Liscomb River (Powerhouse Falls), East River (near the community of<br>
East River), Mushamush River (Clearland), Medway River (Salter<br>
Falls), Barrington River, and elsewhere. But all of these closures<br>
took rplace because of economic reasons, not environmental ones...<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
=C2=A0=C2=A0 Dusan Soudek=C5=A0&gt;<br>
On July 18, 2013 at 2:20 PM james simpson =C2=A0wrote:<br>
You may have seen this re opening of the Penobscot to the sea for<br>
the first time in almost 200 years.=C2=A0 The benefits to river ecology<br>
are pretty profound.<br>
Any initiatives or opportunities for this kind of remediation in<br>
NS?<br>
=3D"_blank">http://asf.ca/you-are-invited-<u></u>to-veazie-dam-event.html</=
a><br>
=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 <br>
=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0<br>
David Patriquin<br>
http://versicolor.ca=

--20cf300fb215431c6504e22d81fd--