[NatureNS] Loon Flotilla + peril unexplained

From: "Laviolette, Lance (EXP)" <lance.laviolette@lmco.com>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
CC: "volunteer@birdscanada.org" <volunteer@birdscanada.org>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 09:46:55 -0400

&gt;&gt; Can anyone explain what went on her
Hi Ally,

I'm surprised that Kathy Jones didn't point out another Bird Studies Canada publication namely "The State of Nova Scotia's Loons: A Decade-long View From the Canadian Lakes Loon Survey". The publication can be viewed in its entirety here:  http://www.birdscanada.org/nsloons.html

A summary statement of this report says "Results show that, for the most part, loons in Nova Scotia appear to be doing well. Breeding success appeared to increase between 1991 and 2000. "

The study is now almost 15 years old so perhaps there has been a noticeable decline over the latest period. Unfortunately, the newer study that Kathy mentions does not provide provincial data. The graph showing reproductive success across Canada is a bit confusing showing trend lines for 'east' and 'west' Canada but data points for the Atlantic provinces and British Columbia. As such it's unclear to me if Nova Scotia's population is itself declining or if a large drop in Quebec or Ontario is responsible for the overall decline. Perhaps Kathy can clarify the data for us.

All the best,

Lance

Lance Laviolette
Glen Robertson, Ontario