[NatureNS] Birds on the move

From: "Laviolette, Lance (EXP)" <lance.laviolette@lmco.com>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 10:52:53 -0400

--_000_92470D8023567B4D8D50FBA6E5E9D00F0EB2ADFF4AHCXMSP1calmco_

Hi James,

I'm always interested to hear what experienced observers such as you are se=
eing in their local area at this time of year. There are invariably reports=
 of birds on the move and of birds disappearing from the woods through much=
 of Nova Scotia during the last two weeks of July and I see similar reports=
 from other parts of eastern Canada.

So what's going on? It could be that most of Nova Scotia's breeding birds m=
ove out of the province in small groups at this time of year. However, obse=
rvations at locations in the south end of the province such as Brier Island=
 indicate that the southern migration of most song birds in Nova Scotia doe=
sn't really begin for another 3-4 weeks and for species such as the Blue-he=
aded Vireos you saw, not for another 6-7 weeks. In fact, as you mention, ma=
ny nests, especially on the coast and on offshore islands, won't even have =
fledged their young for another few weeks.

Certainly in some years of early breeding success, some flocks do leave Nov=
a Scotia earlier than expected. However, I suspect that what's usually happ=
ening is that many adults and fledged young are gathering into small, pre-m=
igration, feeding flocks. These mostly remain in thicker cover at this time=
 of year and stay there building up their fat reserves for several weeks. C=
ombine this with the fact that the males stop singing from exposed position=
s and the result is that the flock is simply not very conspicuous. When bir=
ds are seen in these groups at this time of year after an absence of a week=
 or three they are often thought to be migrating.

However, this is speculation on my part. I'll be very interested to see if =
you continue to notice similar groups in your area over the coming weeks wh=
ich would lend some support to the idea.

All the best,

Lance

Lance Laviolette
Glen Robertson, Ontario