[NatureNS] RE: Hummingbird Clearwing Moths

Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 09:16:56 -0300
From: Rick Ballard <ideaphore@gmail.com>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

fault&gt;I observed a group of a dozen of these moths nectaring on a
--e89a8ff24d9dbbe34404e240e26a

Knapweed has a purple flower that looks kind of like thistle, maybe 3 feet
tall.
Knotweed is an invasive bamboo-like plant.

--
Rick Ballard
Dartmouth,Nova Scotia, Canada

--e89a8ff24d9dbbe34404e240e26a

serif">Knapweed has a purple flower that looks kind of like thistle, maybe =
3 feet tall.</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-family:georgia=
,serif">
Knotweed is an invasive bamboo-like plant.</div></div><div class=3D"gmail_e=
nnabelle Thiebaux <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:hamst@xplornet.co=
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Is knapweed different from knotweed or have =
I made up that name? =A0My grandson was just talking about these moths last=
 night! =A0He has just arrived from Alberta. =A0I wonder if they have them =
there?<div class=3D"im">
On 23/07/13 6:48 PM, Angus MacLean wrote:<br>
eft:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div class=3D"im">
That must have been quite the sight. When we were in Northern Cape Breton t=
he middle of the month, I found two hummingbird moths on my sister-in-law&#=
39;s property &amp; my wife noted several others at friends&#39; places. It=
 seemed odd that no one on naturens were reporting them but I did find one =
in South KIngs a few days ago. All of them were nectaring on knapweed which=
 does not seem to hold the same attraction for butterflies &amp; other inse=
cts. At least in Cape Breton a few bumble bee species (B. vagans &amp; B. t=
ernarius) were fairly common on the knapweed. These two species were much m=
ore common than here in Kings Co. where B. impatiens is more often encounte=
red.<br>

Similar to your experience, Rick, I have found =A0it difficult to get a wel=
l-focused photo of these creatures.<br>
Angus<br>