[NatureNS] Temperance St. school Chimney Swifts- July 26

From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca>
To: NS-RBA <NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com>, NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 23:13:25 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_0364_01CE8A55.BB2D8960

Ken McKenna
Box 218 Stellarton NS
B0K 1S0
902 752-7644

Hi all
Swift numbers have increased at the Temperance St, school the last few =
days with an estimate of 173 entering the chimney tonight (July 26).  I =
arrived at the chimney at 8:38 tonight and could hear swifts high in the =
air. There was one other car with 2 people there ahead of me. Tonight it =
was 25C and mostly clear when I arrived with a slight breeze. The swifts =
tonight did not put on much of a visible show. They remained high in the =
sky  twittering until 8:58 when the first dropped in the chimney from a =
vertical plunge. Eight more dropped down in a similar manner in 1's and =
2's till 9:06 when 100 very quickly dropped in in 5-10 seconds. There =
was no low circuits of the chimney at all. In the next minute another 64 =
entered for a night's total of 173.=20

It was a difficult night to count as dark clouds came in behind the =
chimney about 10 min. before the swifts entered. After all had gone in, =
I went over to the car which was parked in the centre of the parking lot =
and they had missed the bulk of the swifts seeing only one bird. They =
had placed themselves with an electric pole and the observatory covering =
a great deal of the chimney. I had not realized their visibility was so =
limited from that angle. Luckily they live in New Glasgow and can come =
back another night.=20