[NatureNS] long horned caddisfly v long antennaen function

Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2013 07:17:49 -0300
From: nancy dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Thanks Jim for correcting my id. I had not even thought of caddisflies.

Now that I know this is a Caddisfly I checked online to see what info
I could find out about the very long antennae. Like some moths, it
seems the adult caddisflies use them to pick up scents/pheromones when
mating. The following abstract and first portion of the article (to
get this press A Look Inside) indicates the long part of the antenna
is loaded with species specific sensors:

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1134%2FS0022093011060111#page-1

Nancy