[NatureNS] mayfly eyes

Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 13:29:45 -0300
From: "Stephen R. Shaw" <srshaw@DAL.CA>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Nancy,
The basic structure of compound eyes is pretty similar from the
trilobites on forward, emphasizing the continuous evolutionary
history, in which the eye is 'modular' with a repeated structure under
each facet/lens.  Some flies have >20,000 such modules (called
ommatidia = 'little eyes'), the genetically famous vinegar fly
Drosophila has ~750, and in one sort of parasitic bat fly
(nycteribiid) there are ~3->0.  You can think of it as a flexible way
to make a wide range of eye sizes by prolonging or restricting
developmental waves that model the structures out of initially
undifferentiated cells.  So these basic structures are responsible for
movement detection, as you say, which is the current focus of some
fancy work at a Howard Hughes outfit in Virginia, to nail down the
mechanisms; but it's also responsible for colour vision, polarized
light detection, some form vision, etc.  There's some regional
specialization, for example colour vision is sometimes different in
the downwards-looking from the upwards-looking parts of the eye
(dragonflies, drone bees), and polarized light detection is usually on
the top, but not always.

An advantage of this type of eye is that the lens of each facet in a
bee or fly is very powerful, up with a 100X microscope objective lens.
  This gives a very short focus so another small insect can be
seen/recognized in focus a very close range (~1 millimeter) whereas
humans are stuck with a minimum focal distance of at least ~10 cm,
even in young people.  Another advantage is that some of the eyes are
much 'faster' than ours -- they can still see objects even when making
fast aerial flight turns that some execute, though this is a function
of the nerve physiology not the optics.

The big disadvantage, better known, is that the facets are tiny so
that the resolution theoretically possible is very low, because of
diffraction of light (the smaller the lens diameter, the worse the
diffraction problem, which, crudely put, spreads out the light,
defocussing images).  In some crustaceans and day flying insects like
butterflies, this has been partly overcome by the basic structure
having become modified to form what is in effect a vertebrate-like,
single lens eye (evolution again).  That's where the retro-reflector
square facets come in, as one solution to making a single image inside
the eye (the powerful single facet lens can't then be used, so the
front of facet is now flat, not dome-like).  The other solution (some
beetles, discovered in fireflies 100+ years ago) is to use a graded
refractive index lens structure to achieve the same single image.
This has only recently been perfected by humans in the form of
parabolically graded-index, low dispersion glass fiber optics now used
preferentially for fast communications instead of copper wire.
So insects and crustaceans developed at least two 'modern' optical
tricks 100s of million years before we did, in overcoming the
intrinsic diffraction limit imposed by the modular construction of
compound eyes. (Maybe more than you wanted to know.)
Steve