[NatureNS] First breeding Canada Geese

From: Nancy P Dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 06:37:13 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

I just saw the first Canada Goose brood I have ever seen on L Torment, E Dalhousie, Kings Co (2 adults-M+D?- plus 3 large young). And I have been coming here for over 40yrs. They stopped in the reeds, closed their beaks over the part just above the surface and pulled to the top. Gleaning insects I would guess.

In small numbers, so long as it stays that way, they should not pose much competition to the fish-eating C Mergansers and Loons who breed here. Might be worse for the other breeding dabblers like Wood Ducks and Ring Necks though.

Nancy

Sent from my iPhone