[NatureNS] squids definitely long-finned -- photos gotten from three of you

To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
From: "James W. Wolford" <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 17:48:03 -0300

--Apple-Mail-289--374390716
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed

My e-mail response to Peter Stow received photos from Peter and also
from Dave Patriquin and Nelson Poirier, at Halifax and St. Margaret's
Bay and Mill Cove, showing that all of these are definitely Atlantic
long-finned squids, Loligo pealei or updated to Doryteuthis pealeii.
Peter also measured the length of his, up to 30 cm. (one foot), and I
have read that the males can be considerably longer/larger than this.

Most Loligo species, or at least some of them, are communal spawners
in huge groups of groping males, and all of them in such activities
change colour emotionally during the "courting" or groping and forced
matings.  I have read several article on this in the past and seen
spectacular underwater footage on TV of another species off California.

One of the sites I Googled got this info', which I cannot guarantee
as straight goods (always read as a skeptic!):

The Longfin Inshore Squid (Doryteuthis pealeii) is a species of squid
of the family Loliginidae. The Longfin Inshore Squid is found in the
North Atlantic, schooling in continental shelf and slope waters from
Newfoundland to the Gulf of Venezuela. It is commercially exploited,
especially in the range from the Southern Georges Bank to Cape Hatteras.
Gladius

The Longfin Inshore Squid spawns year-round and lives for less than
one year. Individuals hatched in summer generally grow more rapidly
than those hatched in winter due to the warmer temperature of the
water. The species presents sexual dimorphism, with most males
growing faster and reaching larger sizes than females. The dorsal-
mantle length of some males can reach 50 cm, although most squids
commercially harvested are smaller than 30 cm long.

This species is a model organism in neuroscience and was used by
Andrew Huxley and Alan Hodgkin in their studies on axons. They are
also used for research on replicating their camouflage abilities due
to the chromatophores in their skin, which reflect a different color
depending on the angle at which the light is hitting them

Habitat Open ocean, Coral reefs.

Range New England, Eastern Canada, Florida, Mid-Atlantic.

Cheers from Jim in Wolfville.
--Apple-Mail-289--374390716

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">
also from Dave Patriquin and Nelson Poirier, at Halifax and St. =
Margaret's Bay and Mill Cove, showing that all of these are definitely =
Atlantic long-finned squids, Loligo pealei or updated to Doryteuthis =
pealeii. &nbsp;Peter also measured the length of his, up to 30 cm. (one =
foot), and I have read that the males can be considerably longer/larger =
some of them, are communal spawners in huge groups of groping males, and =
all of them in such activities change colour emotionally during the =
"courting" or groping and forced matings. &nbsp;I have read several =
article on this in the past and seen spectacular underwater footage on =
the sites I Googled got this info', which I cannot guarantee as straight =
style=3D"margin: 0.0px 0.0px 8.0px 0.0px; line-height: 18.0px"><font =
face=3D"Helvetica" size=3D"3" style=3D"font: 12.0px Helvetica">The =
Longfin Inshore Squid (Doryteuthis pealeii) is a species of squid of the =
family Loliginidae. The Longfin Inshore Squid is found in the North =
Atlantic, schooling in continental shelf and slope waters from =
Newfoundland to the Gulf of Venezuela. It is commercially exploited, =
especially in the range from the Southern Georges Bank to Cape =
year-round and lives for less than one year. Individuals hatched in =
summer generally grow more rapidly than those hatched in winter due to =
the warmer temperature of the water. The species presents sexual =
dimorphism, with most males growing faster and reaching larger sizes =
than females. The dorsal-mantle length of some males can reach 50 cm, =
although most squids commercially harvested are smaller than 30 cm =
long.<br> <br> This species is a model organism in neuroscience and was =
used by Andrew Huxley and Alan Hodgkin in their studies on axons. They =
are also used for research on replicating their camouflage abilities due =
to the chromatophores in their skin, which reflect a different color =
depending on the angle at which the light is hitting them</font></p><div =
style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
margin-left: 0px; font: normal normal normal 11px/normal Tahoma; =
min-height: 13px; "><br></div><p style=3D"margin: 0.0px 0.0px 8.0px =
0.0px; line-height: 18.0px"><font face=3D"Tahoma" size=3D"4" =
face=3D"Helvetica" size=3D"3" style=3D"font: 12.0px =
Helvetica">&nbsp;Open ocean, Coral reefs.</font></p><div =
style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
margin-left: 0px; font: normal normal normal 11px/normal Tahoma; =
min-height: 13px; "><br></div><p style=3D"margin: 0.0px 0.0px 8.0px =
0.0px; line-height: 18.0px"><font face=3D"Tahoma" size=3D"4" =
size=3D"3" style=3D"font: 12.0px Helvetica">&nbsp;New England, Eastern =
Canada, Florida, Mid-Atlantic.</font></p><p style=3D"margin: 0.0px 0.0px =
8.0px 0.0px; line-height: 18.0px"><font face=3D"Helvetica" size=3D"3" =
0.0px 0.0px 8.0px 0.0px; line-height: 18.0px"><font face=3D"Helvetica" =
size=3D"3" style=3D"font: 12.0px Helvetica">Cheers from Jim in =

--Apple-Mail-289--374390716--