[NatureNS] First breeding Canada Geese

Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 23:50:53 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: "P.L. Chalmers" <plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca>

--=====================_6631125==.ALT

I  visited the Uniacke Estate on Sunday, and for the first time ever,
in my experience of 30+ years of occasional visits, there were Canada
Geese on Lake Martha.  They sure are increasing in numbers.  I see
them in so many places now.

(Nice observation of feeding methods, Nancy.)

Patricia L. Chalmers
Halifax

At 06:37 AM 30/07/2013, Nancy P. Dowd wrote:
>I just saw the first Canada Goose brood I have ever seen on L
>Torment, E Dalhousie, Kings Co (2 adults-M+D?- plus 3 large young).
>And I have been coming here for over 40yrs. They stopped in the
>reeds, closed their beaks over the part just above the surface and
>pulled to the top. Gleaning insects I would guess.
>
>In small numbers, so long as it stays that way, they should not pose
>much competition to the fish-eating C Mergansers and Loons who breed
>here. Might be worse for the other breeding dabblers like Wood Ducks
>and Ring Necks though.

first time ever, in my experience of 30+ years of occasional visits,
there were Canada Geese on Lake Martha.&nbsp; They sure are increasing in
numbers.&nbsp; I see them in so many places now.<br><br>
(Nice observation of feeding methods, Nancy.)<br><br>
Patricia L. Chalmers<br>
Halifax<br><br>
At 06:37 AM 30/07/2013, Nancy P. Dowd wrote:<br>