[NatureNS] do dragonfly nymphs crawl long distances

From: "Jim Edsall" <jim.edsall@bellaliant.net>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2013 10:31:33 -0300

Hi NAncy, the exuvia is that of a Stream Cruiser, Didymops transversa.
Many large species of dragonflies will crawl great distances across a flat
surface until they find something upright that they can crawl up on. They
need to be on a vertical surface in order for their wings to hang down and
form correctly on emergence.  It is usually a tree or bridge abuttment or
even a large rock. I have often seen this species and its close relative
Macromia illinoiensis on the side of a bridge piling twenty to forty feet up
from the water. I would think eighty feet is probably getting near the
limit.

Jim Edsall
Dartmouth, N.S.
check out my website at