[NatureNS] Hymenoptera

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2013 11:47:38 -0300

Dear All,                            Aug 2, 2013
    As has been usual for the last 32 years I stacked some predominantly
Polpar firewood in the front porch, starting in early July. And usually a
few insects, mostly beetles, come in with the wood and surface hours or days
after the move.
    This year, for the first time, there has been a significant number of
Hymenoptera, presumably from pupae and these collect on the screen door;
relatively small & dull Horntails, many Ichneumons and other famlies.

    The wood was mostly from the Dec 13, 2010 blowdown where about 50 Poplar
trees went over (P. tremuloides) in one small area, cut, split & tiered in
2011. I am guessing that the concentration of windfalls has been
instrumental in this buildup of Hymenoptera.

    On an unrelated note, why are typos invisible until just after one
presses send ?

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville