[NatureNS] Solitary Sandpipers

From: Paul Murray <murraypaul@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 21:24:02 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_0004_01CE96D9.1A0ECBD0

August 11, 2013 =E2=80=93 Salt Marsh Trail

I found two Solitary Sandpipers on on the Salt Marsh Trail this morning. =
They are both located in the same tidal pool as the one in previous =
years.  The pool is on the south side of the trail where the trail =
emerges from the wooded section coming from the Bisset Road.  I got =
several pictures of each bird but none with them together because the =
dominant bird kept chasing the other one away.

Also, there are a lot of Short-billed Dowitchers, Greater and Lesser =
Yellowlegs and Black-bellied Plovers feeding in the tidal pools and =
flats at low tide on either side of the trail.=20

August 8, 2013 =E2=80=93 Hartlen Point

There are a few warblers and flycatchers in the bushes at Hartlen Point. =
 I got  a few pictures of the flycatchers but I do not have enough =
experience to tell whether they are Alder, Willow or Least.  My hearing =
is bad so I cannot identify by their voice. I would appreciate some help =
in identifying it (them).

Pictures are available at:  =
http://scranlocker.smugmug.com/Nature/Nature-2013/27401561_mz8SqW=20

In addition to the flycatchers and warblers in the bushes, there were =
significant numbers of:  White-rumped, Semipalmated and Least =
Sandpipers, Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs, Short-billed Dowitchers and a =
few Black-bellied Plovers along the cobble beach.  I noted one Pectoral =
Sandpiper as well.

Paul Murray
Dartmouth
------=_NextPart_000_0004_01CE96D9.1A0ECBD0

<HTML><HEAD></HEAD>
<BODY dir=3Dltr>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>
<DIV style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri'; COLOR: #000000">
<DIV><U>August 11, 2013 =E2=80=93 Salt Marsh Trail</U></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I found two <STRONG>Solitary Sandpipers</STRONG> on on the Salt =
Marsh Trail=20
this morning. They are both located in the same tidal pool as the one in =

previous years.&nbsp; The pool is on the south side of the trail where =
the trail=20
emerges from the wooded section coming from the Bisset Road.&nbsp; I got =
several=20
pictures of each bird but none with them together because the dominant =
bird kept=20
chasing the other one away.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Also, there are a lot of Short-billed Dowitchers, Greater and =
Lesser=20
Yellowlegs and Black-bellied Plovers feeding in the tidal pools and =
flats at low=20
tide on either side of the trail. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><U>August 8, 2013 =E2=80=93 Hartlen Point</U></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>There are a few warblers and flycatchers in the bushes at Hartlen=20
Point.&nbsp; I got&nbsp; a few pictures of the flycatchers but I do not =
have=20
enough experience to tell whether they are <STRONG>Alder, Willow or=20
Least</STRONG>.&nbsp; My hearing is bad so I cannot identify by their =
voice. I=20
would appreciate some help in identifying it (them).</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Pictures are available at:&nbsp; <A=20
title=3Dhttp://scranlocker.smugmug.com/Nature/Nature-2013/27401561_mz8SqW=
=20
href=3D"http://scranlocker.smugmug.com/Nature/Nature-2013/27401561_mz8SqW=
">http://scranlocker.smugmug.com/Nature/Nature-2013/27401561_mz8SqW</A>&n=
bsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>In addition to the flycatchers and warblers in the bushes, there =
were=20
significant numbers of:&nbsp; <STRONG>White-rumped, Semipalmated and =
Least=20
Sandpipers, Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs, Short-billed Dowitchers and a =
few=20
Black-bellied Plovers</STRONG> along the cobble beach.&nbsp; I noted one =

<STRONG>Pectoral Sandpiper</STRONG> as well.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Paul Murray</DIV>
<DIV>Dartmouth</DIV></DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0004_01CE96D9.1A0ECBD0--