[NatureNS] PEI BIrds

From: Angus MacLean <cold_mac@hotmail.com>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 14:55:31 -0200

--_8f620490-c651-4d95-8e21-546ceddff5ce_

My wife & I spent four days in PEI last week. For those interested in shore=
birds=2C this will give them a hint or two where to look.=20

=20

We were located near North Rustico & checked out areas from Brackley/Covehe=
ad to East Point.

=20

The Covehead area is not what it once was with oodles of shorebirds. The ex=
posed mudflats were too distant to identify such small creatures (50-75) al=
though we may have missed low tide. There were ~5 Caspian Terns with them a=
long with lots of small terns. There had been a mixed flock of Common & Arc=
tic Terns nesting by the bridge years ago so I assume this still exists & t=
he terns were from that colony. Now that the Park has established bike trai=
ls along the length of the road=2C there is no place to park & observe the =
Bay & marshy area now. (The longer-legged waders were always useful to chec=
k out there before).

=20

At St. Peter's Bay there were lots of mudflats but no birds. (Just scanned =
the area on the way by). Still a good spot to check out further.

=20

At the Barrachois just east of Souris=2C there was a good assortment of sho=
rebirds including a number of Golden Plover. There were also ~15 Bonaparte =
Gulls which we would see later on too.

=20

At East Point Lighthouse=2C there were 35 Surf Scoter=2C #s of Bonaparte Gu=
lls passing by=2C D/C (mainly) & Great Cormorants=2C 100s of Gannets (mostl=
y adults w/ a few imms.) fishing close in to shore (catching mackeral=2C I =
presume)=2C a flock of Bank Swallow just over the bank (bank very unstable =
so a fence keeps everyone back). This should be a great spot in the fall to=
 watch shearwaters & other pelagics come by.

=20

We were not on a birding holiday so didn't spend much time on birds. Very f=
ew butterflies similar to NS.

=20

Angus
 		 	   		  =

--_8f620490-c651-4d95-8e21-546ceddff5ce_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 12pt=3B
font-family:Calibri
}
--></style></head>
s in PEI last week. For those interested in shorebirds=2C this will give th=
em a hint or two where to look. <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
We were located near North Rustico &amp=3B checked out areas from Brackley/=
Covehead to East Point.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
The&nbsp=3BCovehead area is&nbsp=3Bnot what it&nbsp=3Bonce was with oodles =
of shorebirds. The exposed mudflats were too distant to identify such small=
 creatures (50-75) although we may&nbsp=3Bhave missed low tide. There were =
~5 Caspian Terns&nbsp=3Bwith them along with lots of small terns. There had=
 been a mixed flock of&nbsp=3BCommon &amp=3B Arctic Terns nesting by the br=
idge years ago so I assume this still exists &amp=3B the terns were from th=
at colony.&nbsp=3BNow that the Park has established bike trails along the l=
ength of the road=2C there is no place to park &amp=3B observe the Bay &amp=
=3B marshy area now. (The longer-legged waders were always useful to check =
out there before).<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
At St. Peter's Bay there were lots of mudflats but no birds. (Just scanned =
the area on the way by). Still a good spot to check out further.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
At&nbsp=3Bthe Barrachois just east of Souris=2C there was a good assortment=
 of shorebirds including a number of Golden Plover.&nbsp=3BThere were also =
~15 Bonaparte&nbsp=3BGulls which we would see later on too.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
At East Point Lighthouse=2C there were 35 Surf Scoter=2C #s of Bonaparte Gu=
lls passing by=2C D/C (mainly) &amp=3B Great Cormorants=2C 100s of Gannets =
(mostly adults w/ a few imms.) fishing close in to shore (catching mackeral=
=2C I presume)=2C a flock of Bank Swallow just over the bank (bank very uns=
table&nbsp=3Bso a fence keeps everyone back). This should be a great spot i=
n the fall&nbsp=3Bto watch shearwaters &amp=3B other pelagics&nbsp=3Bcome b=
y.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
We were not on a birding holiday&nbsp=3Bso didn't spend much time on birds.=
 Very few butterflies similar to NS.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Angus<BR> 		 	   		  </div></body>

--_8f620490-c651-4d95-8e21-546ceddff5ce_--