Long rant: Re: [NatureNS] comment re Empty Forests

Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 15:32:52 -0300
From: "Stephen R. Shaw" <srshaw@dal.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

&gt;&gt;&gt; Plenty of Goldenrod, knapweed,
Hi Mary:
You might have some new information on the the bee issue, but
suggesting 'Do a google' isn't specific/helpful (probably a million
hits) and citing Twitter for support earlier undermines the
credibility of any serious claim.  I haven't read anything recently
that suggested that pesticides were actually directly responsible for
'CAUSING colony collapse disorder' (emphasis added), but that they
likely were a contributing factor.  An experimental study I read
somewhere suggested that 'clean' bees became disoriented and could not
find their food sources when dosed up to levels of insecticides
recovered from some bees from hives that were judged to have be
contaminated, which is ominous.  In July, many EU countries  banned
use of the insecticide fipronil. The EU Food Safety Authority report
(was not cited as an on-line source in the brief report I saw, but you
could google it) concluded that maize seeds treated with fipronil
present a 'high acute risk to honeybees'.  Hopefully the report
summarizes some real evidence for this claim.

While this is an important topic on a global scale, it was not at all
the focus of Blake M's thread originally, which was on the question of
whether insect activity was unusually low this particular year.  I've
also seen extremely low insect activity at an insect trap I run in the
garden that collects mainly flies and 'bees' (ichneumons mostly).
There's no pesticide use in neighboring gardens, and I'd assumed that
the downturn was was due simply to the earlier prolonged stretches of
really wet weather.  As well as the adults, terrestrial insect larvae
and pupae breath air that enters through ports on the body surface
(spiracles), and many species live underground in soil.  It seems
possible many simply drowned and or succumbed to fungal infection when
inundated in saturated soil, before they could emerge.  This idea at
least makes an interesting prediction, that insect groups with
exclusively aquatic juvenile stages with gills (e.g. mayflies,
dragonflies) should have remained unaffected by the wet spring and
early summer, unless they drowned while emerging into air.  On a
return trip to Mount Uniacke last week I encountered very few insects
on the grassy drumlin, apart from Common Wood Nymphs (everywhere) and
small worker bumblebees (lots on goldenrod flowers, but no honeybees),
but there were quite a few dragonflies cruising around; there's a lake
and stream nearby.

There are a couple of dragonfly enthusiasts in NS (though Derek B
recently unsubscribed from NatureNS): it would be interesting to know
if they or others also have had a lean year collecting/observing this
group, or if the year has been relatively normal.  There have been a
couple of reports of mayflies: has the emergence of that group, or of
caddisflies looked normal?

Steve (Halifax)