[NatureNS] Scarcity of Insects

From: Angus MacLean <cold_mac@hotmail.com>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 21:02:26 -0200

--_e7fb1c3e-d8d1-48a4-b3f6-b82c9d5a5421_

Steve's "rant" & other comments center on the weather we have experienced t=
his spring & fall. However:

=20

I have been photographing insects since 2005. I recall thinking during the =
first two years that this was a great hobby=2C insects wherever one looked =
so that some days I took 300-400 photos. Then numbers started declining....=
 so much so that in the past few years I consider it a good day to get 5-10=
 useful photos (excluding honey bees which are numerous here in the Valley)=
.=20

=20

I am certain that some people still find high insect populations in their a=
rea. For instance I have found that in northern Cape Breton=2C there are mo=
re insects & in particular=2C populations of Bumble Bees.

=20

We do have good comparative data re birds & the Butterfly Atlas will collec=
t much useful data too=2C albeit somewhat late. There may be similar studie=
s of other groups although the only specific study that comes to mind is th=
at of Bumble Bees where data has been collected over a number of years (fol=
lowed by disturbing analysis!). Are there others?

=20

As birders we sometimes thought how exciting it must have been to be birdin=
g in the forties through early fifties when populations were said to be abu=
ndant. I wish now I had started my "new" hobby a few years or perhaps decad=
es earlier!

=20

Likely in 20 years from now=2C people will look at insect photos on the Net=
 & think (similar to the Eskimo Curlew).."Gee=2C I wish I had seen that".=20

=20

Angus
 		 	   		  =

--_e7fb1c3e-d8d1-48a4-b3f6-b82c9d5a5421_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 12pt=3B
font-family:Calibri
}
--></style></head>
ments&nbsp=3Bcenter on the weather we have experienced this spring &amp=3B =
fall. However:<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
I have been photographing insects since 2005. I recall thinking during the =
first two years that this was a great hobby=2C insects wherever one looked =
so that some days I took 300-400 photos. Then numbers started declining....=
 so much so that in the past few years I consider it a good day to get 5-10=
 useful photos (excluding honey bees which are numerous here in the Valley)=
. <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
I am certain that some people still find high insect populations in their a=
rea. For instance I have found that in northern Cape Breton=2C there are mo=
re insects &amp=3B in particular=2C populations of Bumble Bees.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
We do have good comparative data re birds &amp=3B the Butterfly Atlas will =
collect much useful data too=2C albeit&nbsp=3Bsomewhat late. There may be&n=
bsp=3Bsimilar studies of&nbsp=3Bother groups although&nbsp=3Bthe only speci=
fic study that comes to mind is that of Bumble Bees&nbsp=3Bwhere&nbsp=3Bdat=
a has been collected over a number of years (followed by disturbing analysi=
s!). Are there others?<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
As birders we sometimes thought how exciting it must have been to be birdin=
g in the forties through early fifties when populations were said to&nbsp=
=3Bbe abundant. I wish now I had started my "new" hobby a few years or perh=
aps decades earlier!<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Likely in 20 years from now=2C people will look at insect photos on the Net=
 &amp=3B think (similar to the Eskimo Curlew).."Gee=2C I wish I had seen th=
at".&nbsp=3B<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Angus<BR> 		 	   		  </div></body>

--_e7fb1c3e-d8d1-48a4-b3f6-b82c9d5a5421_--