[NatureNS] Scarcity of Insects

Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 22:51:58 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: "P.L. Chalmers" <plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca>

no
--=====================_2359656==.ALT

         I agree with others who have said that there is a scarcity
of butterflies and bees this year.  I have seen very few, either here
in the city or on my few outings this summer.  Two weeks ago I spent
an hour on a lovely Sunday morning at Mount Uniacke estate, and saw
no butterflies except for Whites, Sulphurs, and Common Wood
Nymphs.  Not a fritillary to be seen.  I recalled walking in the same
areas on field trips with Peter and Linda Payzant in former years and
seeing far more, and more varied, insects.

         However, I have noticed good numbers of moths in the evening
in Bedford., including some of the larger ones.   I have also seen
healthy numbers of odonates at several of my usual spots.  On Sunday
I was in Point Pleasant Park, and observed an abundance of various
odes over the wetland on Pine Road. I particularly noticed a lot of
chalky-bodied skimmers, which I think were Common Whitetails and
reddish meadowhawks. (I realize I'm rusty!)

         Patricia L. Chalmers
         Halifax