[NatureNS] Miner's Marsh-Kentville

From: Angus MacLean <cold_mac@hotmail.com>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 14:58:54 -0200

--_259eef49-adbe-43db-a621-626653ead9d0_

Last evening at MIner's Marsh=2C I was pleased to find ~25 Bumble Bees on J=
ewelweed (N. side of marsh). Even more surprising=2C they were all the comm=
onest BB in our area=2C Bombus impatiens. So there are pockets of these bee=
s still surviving although in many areas=2C one can only find a couple.

=20

There was a number of small skippers flying too but never allowed close scr=
utiny. This morning I tried again & photographed a few. They were all Least=
 Skippers. A few years ago loads of European Skippers could be expected but=
 apparently those are on the decline. (The latter are "imports" from Europe=
 so perhaps not a bad thing).

=20

There are lots of "white" butterflies at the marsh & one would assume they =
are Cabbage Whites. However a closer look revealed at least half are Mustar=
d Whites ... late for their flight period?

=20

There were few birds. A female P/B Grebe could be heard grunting & Kingfish=
ers are ever present. The water level is too high to invite any shorebirds =
but perhaps the hot weather will draw down the level enough to entice some =
of the taller waders.

Angus =20
 		 	   		  =

--_259eef49-adbe-43db-a621-626653ead9d0_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 12pt=3B
font-family:Calibri
}
--></style></head>
 I was pleased to find ~25 Bumble Bees on Jewelweed (N. side of marsh). Eve=
n more surprising=2C they were <STRONG>all</STRONG> the commonest BB in our=
 area=2C Bombus impatiens. So there are pockets of these bees still survivi=
ng although in many areas=2C one can only find a couple.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
There was a number of small skippers flying too but never allowed close scr=
utiny. This morning&nbsp=3BI tried again &amp=3B photographed a few. They w=
ere all Least Skippers. A few years ago loads of European Skippers could be=
 expected but apparently those are on the decline. (The latter are "imports=
" from Europe so perhaps not a bad thing).<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
There are lots of "white" butterflies at the marsh &amp=3B one would assume=
 they are Cabbage Whites. However a closer look revealed at least half are =
Mustard Whites ... late for their flight period?<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
There were few birds. A female P/B Grebe&nbsp=3Bcould be heard grunting &am=
p=3B Kingfishers are ever present. The water level is too high to invite an=
y shorebirds but perhaps the hot weather will draw down the level enough to=
 entice some of the&nbsp=3Btaller waders.<BR>
Angus&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B<BR> 		 	   		  </div></body>

--_259eef49-adbe-43db-a621-626653ead9d0_--