[NatureNS] jewelweed: pink? efficacy for skin problems?

Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 17:35:34 -0400
From: Fred Schueler <bckcdb@istar.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

On 8/19/2013 4:25 PM, Dave&Jane Schlosberg wrote:
> I was surprised to read jewelweed described as having pink flowers, in
> Steve Shaw's post.  The jewelweed that I know is also called spotted
> touch-me-not (impatiens capensis).  It has orange flowers and is in
> bloom now.

* the pink kind is Impatiens glandulifera, which can be called Pink
Jewelweed (a local Ontario coinage), Himalayan Balsam (the standard
name), and Policeman's Helmet (recently noted on a facebook notice of a
control effort). The species is regarded as invasive, and it forms 2m
tall stands in places in southern Ontario, and is, I understand, very
invasive in Britain. It's widespread in Nova Scotia, often as stunted
30cm tall plants a ways back from the shore.

I have no experience with the use of Impatiens to deal with Poison-ivy.

fred.

--
          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad