[NatureNS] Nightjars Lr Sacville

From: Andrew Horn <aghorn@DAL.CA>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 09:09:11 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Apple-Mail-11--738606420

Hi all,

It would be very neat for the bird society or BSC to encourage nighthawk =
surveys in the Maritimes, like the one that's been running for years in =
New England (some graphs here), maybe starting small with a one-night =
event, as BSC in Ontario did this summer in Toronto's High Park =
(described here). These birds are coming from a wide area that's tough =
to survey during the breeding season, the way the growing Nightjar =
Survey Network does (details here [and don't worry, this time I =
double-checked that the links didn't go to F Scott Fitzgerald's favorite =
drink mixes or something]).

Mapping sightings of large flocks, like the one Ashley saw, would lay a =
good foundation for this. Maybe that could be done from records =
published in NS birds.

Just a thought,
Andy Horn
Halifax

On Aug 20, 2013, at 6:16 AM, fulton.harding@ns.sympatico.ca wrote:

> My son, Ashley Harding was in Wentworth this past weekend putting on =
some orienteering meets at the ski hill and the picnic park.  He and =
several others saw a massive flock of nighhawks, well over 100. =20
> =20
> Marian Fulton=20
> Hantsport NS
> =20

--Apple-Mail-11--738606420

break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: =
for the bird society or BSC to encourage nighthawk surveys in the =
Maritimes, like the one that's been running for years in New England =
(some graphs&nbsp;<a =
href=3D"http://www.borobirding.net/survey-historical-results.html">here</a=
>), maybe starting small with a one-night event, as BSC in Ontario did =
this summer in Toronto's High Park (described&nbsp;<a =
href=3D"http://www.highparknaturecentre.com/ai1ec_event/nighthawk-count/?i=
nstance_id=3D">here</a>). These birds are coming from a wide area that's =
tough to survey during the breeding season, the way the growing Nightjar =
Survey Network does (details&nbsp;<a =
href=3D"http://www.nightjars.org/">here</a>&nbsp;[and don't worry, this =
time I double-checked that the links didn't go to F Scott Fitzgerald's =
sightings of large flocks, like the one Ashley saw, would lay a good =
foundation for this. Maybe that could be done from records published in =
2013, at 6:16 AM, <a =
href=3D"mailto:fulton.harding@ns.sympatico.ca">fulton.harding@ns.sympatico=
type=3D"cite"><div><div>My son, Ashley Harding was in Wentworth this =
past weekend putting on some orienteering meets at the ski hill and the =
picnic park. &nbsp;He and several others saw a massive flock of =
Fulton&nbsp;</div><div>Hantsport =

--Apple-Mail-11--738606420--