[NatureNS] re Spiraea tomentosa -- was An evening Fishing

Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 22:14:54 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: "P.L. Chalmers" <plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca>

    Checke
--=====================_784140==.ALT

David,

         I appreciated your comment about the name Hardhack (which in
my experience referred to L. tomentosa).  I never understood what the
name meant, but as you imply it probably reflects a farmer's
experience taming a pasture.

         A friend of mine plans to take part in the Hand Mowing
Competition at New Ross Farm this weekend
http://www.atlanticfarmer.com/handmowing.php I must tell him about this.

         Cheers,

         Patricia

At 07:51 PM 20/08/2013, you wrote:
>Hi Jim & All,                        Aug 20, 2013
>     Hardhack is a good example of the fluidity of common names.
> Where I grew up both latifolia and tomentose were called Hardhack;
> best avoided with a grass scythe and not readily mowed with a brush scythe.
>
>     Roland and Smith have Hardhack as an alternate name for latifolia.
>Fernald has Hardhack as an alternate name for tomentosa.
>
>Yt, DW

--=====================_784140==.ALT

<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>I
appreciated your comment about the name Hardhack (which in my experience
referred to L. tomentosa).&nbsp; I never understood what the name meant,
but as you imply it probably reflects a farmer's experience taming a
pasture.&nbsp; <br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>A friend
of mine plans to take part in the Hand Mowing Competition at New Ross
Farm this weekend
http://www.atlanticfarmer.com/handmowing.php</a> I must tell him about
this.<br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Cheers,<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>
Patricia<br><br>
At 07:51 PM 20/08/2013, you wrote:<br>
All,&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Aug 20, 2013<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Hardhack is a goo