[NatureNS] Acraea Moth Caterpillars offshore island

From: Nancy P Dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 17:54:59 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

My brother was just out on Hell Rake Island, about 2km E of Heckmans I, Lun Co. He told me there were lots of 30mm+ tawny orange caterpillars somewhat like Wooly Bears w/o the black band. This is a very small island at less than 500m long and 1/3 as wide with a few little spruce and herbaceous growth.

This sounds to me like Acraea Moth Caterpillars (Estigmene acraea) aka Marsh Caterpillars. I read they feed on Cord Grasses in Salt Marshes among other things.

Sound logical?

Nancy

Sent from my iPhone