[NatureNS] Junebug emergence timing?

Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 23:13:50 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: "P.L. Chalmers" <plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca>
Cc: Trevor Avery <trevor.avery@acadiau.ca>

--=====================_4646156==.ALT

         I love questions like this.  It brings out my inner
Librarian.  I just did a search of my very extensive archive of
postings on NatureNS, and found a number of reports.  Dave Webster
had the best record of sightings for one location.  He has already
re-submitted it, so I haven't repeated it here.  However, I've
appended a list of other reports with dates, comments in quotations,
and observer's name and place.  Honorable mention goes to Marian
Fulton, who obviously keeps good records too!

         Cheers,

         Patricia L. Chalmers
         Halifax

1999 17 May     "At tonight's BNS meeting 4 different people reported
having seen adult June beetles ("Junebugs") last night (very early)"
Jim Wolford, Wolfville
2001 8 May  " [on the 6 May] June bug(s) bouncing around in Tremont
Plateau Park (Clayton Park)";  Grazyna Tokarczyk, Halifax
2001 31 May   "since the 16th.  Last spring we first saw them on the
15th.  In previous years they have emerged here on the 31st or 1st of
June.  I have been taking note of the date for several years.";
Marian Fulton, Hantsport
2001 14 June  "Last night I was inundated by June Bugs" ; Carl
Munden, no location
2002 31 May  "June bugs have emerged here" ; Marian Fulton, Hantsport
2002 16 May  "We have yet to see or hear a June bug this year"  Dave
Webster, Kentville
2002 17 June "I have yet to see or hear a June bug this year - I
attribute it to the cold, wet weather." Roland McCormick, Barrington
2002 17 June  "I had 4 only the 3rd week in May and 3 more one night
last week. Sure hasn't been like last year" ; Carl Munden, no location
2002 17 June  "this year is the most June Bugs I have ever seen in my
life. The first emerged here on May 17 -just a few. Every night after
that I saw a few more until they peaked first week of June. For about
two and a half weeks every window in the house would have at least 10
-20 June Bugs banging at them" ; Clarence Stevens, no location
2002 4 July "almost the first I have seen this year.  After a single
one in May, I saw none at all in June; my parents in Bedford have
also remarked on their absence" ; Patricia L. Chalmers, Halifax
2003  21 May  "I heard the unmistakable sound of a June Bug" Marian
Fulton, Hantsport
2003    31 May  "2 June beetles attracted to the lights on our
Wolfville porch tonight"  Jim Wolford, Wolfville
2005 28 May "June bugs at the window just now"; Marian Fulton, Hantsport
2006 3 April  "my sister Rita in Lower Sackville discovered one in
the yard on April 1st," Bernard Burke (with photo)
2006 20 May  "beating at my windows I write this" Marg Russell, no location
2007  8 May     "out in full force" ; Jeannie Shermerhorn, Port Hawkesbury
2009 20 May  "several days now" ; Marian Fulton, Hantsport
2010 13 May  "Last night I saw the first June bugs for the year";
James R. Hirtle, Bayport
2010 14 May  "first I have observed this year"; Patricia L. Chalmers, Halifax
2011 7 May      "my first June Bug of the year";        Don
MacLaughlin, Halifax
2011 26 May      "6-7+ June beetles (alias May beetles or Junebugs)";
Jim Wolford, Wolfville
2012    15 May  "June Bugs are out and about tonight" ;Marian Fulton,
Hantsport
2012 30 May  "saw my first June Bug on wednesday (i.e. 29 May) in
Bedford"  Paul Lindgreen

At 12:12 PM 28/08/2013, you wrote:
>Trevor Avery at Acadia Biology asked me to put this question on
>naturens and ValleyNature lists.  Jim in Wolfville.
>
>Begin forwarded message:
>
>>From: Trevor Avery <<mailto:trevor.avery@acadiau.ca>trevor.avery@acadiau.ca>
>>Date: August 28, 2013 11:24:55 AM ADT
>>To: "James W. Wolford"
>><<mailto:jimwolford@eastlink.ca>jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
>>Subject: junebug emergence timing
>>
>>Hi Jim,
>>I'm not on the mailing list for the naturalist society. I was
>>wondering if anyone keeps track of junebug emergence timing (when
>>they emerge each year). Any chance you could post a message asking?
>>
>>cheers,
>>trevor

--=====================_4646156==.ALT

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>I love questions
like this.&nbsp; It brings out my inner Librarian.&nbsp; I just did a
search of my very extensive archive of postings on NatureNS, and found a
number of reports.&nbsp; Dave Webster had the best record of sightings
for one location.&nbsp; He has already re-submitted it, so I haven't
repeated it here.&nbsp; However, I've appended a list of other reports
with dates, comments in quotations, and observer's name and place.&nbsp;
Honorable mention goes to Marian Fulton, who obviously keeps good records
too!<br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Cheers,<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Patricia
L. Chalmers<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Halifax<br>
tonight's BNS meeting 4 different people reported having seen adult June
beetles (&quot;Junebugs&quot;) last night (very early)&quot; Jim Wolford,
Wolfville<br>
2001 8 May&nbsp; &quot; [on the 6 May] June bug(s) bouncing around in
Tremont Plateau Park (Clayton Park)&quot;;&nbsp; Grazyna Tokarczyk,
Halifax<br>
2001 31 May&nbsp;&nbsp; &quot;since the 16th.&nbsp; Last spring we first
saw them on the 15th.&nbsp; In previous years they have emerged here on
the 31st or 1st of June.&nbsp; I have been taking note of the date for
several years.&quot;; Marian Fulton, Hantsport <br>
2001 14 June&nbsp; &quot;Last night I was inundated by June Bugs&quot; ;
Carl Munden, no location<br>
2002 31 May&nbsp; &quot;June bugs have emerged here&quot; ; Marian
Fulton, Hantsport <br>
2002 16 May&nbsp; &quot;We have yet to see or hear a June bug this
year&quot;&nbsp; Dave Webster, Kentville<br>
2002 17 June &quot;I have yet to see or hear a June bug this year - I
attribute it to the cold, wet weather.&quot; Roland McCormick,
Barrington<br>
2002 17 June&nbsp; &quot;I had 4 only the 3rd week in May and 3 more one
night last week. Sure hasn't been like last year&quot; ; Carl Munden, no
location<br>
2002 17 June&nbsp; &quot;this year is the most June Bugs I have ever seen
in my life. The first emerged here