[NatureNS] lots of woolly caterpillars

From: Nancy Roberts <nancy.roberts@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 20:36:33 -0300

I'm just back from the Cole Harbour Salt Marsh Trail. There was a huge
cohort of woolly caterpillars mostly between the second and third
bridges as you walk from the Bissett Road end.

They had reduced some of their favoured little yellow crucifers to
stems and big veins and were even eating the pods. They were all over
these, selected other species of plants, and the trail.

Most were rusty all over, some were black down the back with rusty
sides, and a few were grey. They had flashy markings on their bodies
under the hairs. None were banded.

I'm amazed that the parent leps laid so many eggs in the narrow strip
of plants along the trail. Were they blown there? I've rarely seen a
moth or butterfly out there.

I know my descriptions are not thorough, but if anyone recognizes
these species, I would love to be pointed to images of the adults.

Thanks,

Nancy

Nancy Roberts Design
Celebrating 20 years of making you look GOOD
Dartmouth, NS B2Y 2X6