[NatureNS] Sept 12 Naturalist talk- Forest issues with Matt Miller

From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2013 11:48:15 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_00EB_01CEA89B.7AB67C20

Ken McKenna
Box 218 Stellarton NS
B0K 1S0
902 752-7644

Hi all
Hope everyone had a great time this summer and with the last of summer =
comes the first of our fall Pictou Co. Naturalist's programs. Note, =
although we normally meet the first Tues. of the month, our Sept =
presentation will be Thurs. Sept 12 at 6:30 p.m.at the program room of =
the New Glasgow Library. Our guest speaker will be locally born Matt =
Miller who works with the forestry division of the Ecology Action =
Centre. His talk "Forestry Issues Update: Highlights and Challenges =
after year two of Nova Scotia's Natural Resources Strategy"   His talk =
will touch on the issues of clearcutting, whole-tree harvesting, forest =
biomass, silviculture/harvesting practices and community-based forestry =
all of which he has been working on lately. Many of us who walk or drive =
by our woods be it private or crown land hold varying views on the state =
of the province's forests so this should be a good focus on many issues =
on the minds of most of us.=20

About our speaker:
Matt Miller has returned to the Ecology Action Centre to assume the role =
of Forestry Program Coordinator. Matt grew up in rural Pictou County, =
Nova Scotia. His forestry education began while working with his father =
to restore his family's woodlots at the age of 14. A forester and forest =
technician, Matt received a technical diploma from the Maritime College =
of Forest Technology and attained a Bachelor of Science in Forestry from =
the University of New Brunswick. Having gained a variety of experience =
in hands-on forestry in the areas of harvesting, uneven-aged =
silviculture and private woodlot consulting, he is excited to be back at =
EAC to help bring about positive change in forestry practices in the =
province. Matt has been an active member of the Nova Scotia Woodlot =
Owners and Operators Association since 2005, and currently sits on the =
board of directors. An avid hunter, angler and canoeist, Matt feels most =
at home when he is exploring the wilderness of Nova Scotia.=20

As a special treat, our October program ( Tues.Oct 1, 6:30) will feature =
Polly Szantor, a former member of our group, who has lived in Malaysia =
now for more than a decade. She will give us an insight into life, =
culture and landscapes of Malaysia in a talk titled  "The Many Faces of =
Malaysia". Polly has given a number of talks to our group and always =
have been entertaining and well-received and this will be a good chance =
to meet with her to share news personally.  =20

Come on out and support the speakers. Always nice to have a full room =
for those who donate their time to speak to us.=20

cheers
Ken

------=_NextPart_000_00EB_01CEA89B.7AB67C20

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Ken McKenna<BR>Box 218 Stellarton =
NS<BR>B0K=20
1S0<BR>902 752-7644<BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Hi all</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Hope everyone had a great time this =
summer and with=20
the last of summer comes the first of our fall Pictou Co. Naturalist's =
programs.=20
Note, although we normally meet the first Tues. of the month, our Sept=20
presentation will be <STRONG>Thurs. Sept 12 at 6:30 p.m</STRONG>.at the =
program=20
room of the New Glasgow Library. Our guest speaker will be locally born =
Matt=20
Miller who works with the forestry division of the Ecology Action =
Centre. His=20
talk "<STRONG>Forestry Issues Update: Highlights and Challenges after =
year two=20
of Nova Scotia's Natural Resources Strategy"&nbsp;</STRONG>&nbsp; His =
talk will=20
touch on the issues of clearcutting, whole-tree harvesting, forest =
biomass,=20
silviculture/harvesting practices and community-based forestry all of =
which he=20
has been working on lately. Many of us who walk or drive by our woods be =
it=20
private or crown land hold varying views on the state of the province's =
forests=20
so this should be&nbsp;a good focus on many issues on the minds of most =
of us.=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>About our speaker:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial><FONT size=3D3 face=3D"Times New =
Roman">Matt Miller has=20
returned to the Ecology Action Centre to assume the role of Forestry =
Program=20
Coordinator. Matt grew up in rural Pictou County, Nova Scotia. His =
forestry=20
education began while working with his father to restore his family=92s =
woodlots=20
at the age of 14. A forester and forest technician, Matt received a =
technical=20
diploma from the Maritime College of Forest Technology and attained a =
Bachelor=20
of Science in Forestry from the University of New Brunswick. Having =
gained a=20
variety of experience in hands-on forestry in the areas of harvesting,=20
uneven-aged silviculture and private woodlot consulting, he is excited =
to be=20
back at EAC to help bring about positive change in forestry practices in =
the=20
province. Matt has been an active member of the Nova Scotia Woodlot =
Owners and=20
Operators Association since 2005, and currently sits on the board of =
directors.=20
An avid hunter, angler and canoeist, Matt feels most at home when he is=20
exploring the wilderness of Nova Scotia. </FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial><FONT size=3D3=20
face=3D"Times New Roman"></FONT></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial><FONT size=3D3 face=3D"Times New =
Roman">As a special=20
treat, our <STRONG>October </STRONG>program ( <STRONG>Tues.Oct 1,=20
6:30</STRONG>)&nbsp;will feature <STRONG>Polly Szantor</STRONG>,&nbsp;a =
former=20
member of our group, who has lived in Malaysia now for more than a =
decade. She=20
will give us an insight into life, culture and landscapes of Malaysia in =
a talk=20
titled&nbsp;&nbsp;"<STRONG>The Many Faces of Malaysia</STRONG>". Polly =
has=20
given&nbsp;a number of talks to our group and always have been =
entertaining and=20
well-received and this will be a good chance to meet with her to share =
news=20
personally. &nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial><FONT size=3D3=20
face=3D"Times New Roman"></FONT></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial><FONT size=3D3 face=3D"Times New =
Roman">Come on out and=20
support the speakers. Always nice to have a full room for those who =
donate their=20
time to speak to us. </FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>cheers</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Ken</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial><FONT size=3D2 =
face=3DArial></FONT></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial><FONT size=3D3=20
face=3D"Times New Roman"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00EB_01CEA89B.7AB67C20--