[NatureNS] Buttonbush in Point Pleasant Park

Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2013 16:16:17 -0400
From: Fred Schueler <bckcdb@istar.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

On 9/5/2013 2:37 PM, Paul MacDonald wrote:

> Buttonbush is not all that uncommon in south west NS.
> I have came upon it in a few locations - sometimes
> extensive stands. Remarkable what you find when you get
> out on the stillwaters!

* Hudsonia has found an association between Buttonbush and Blanding's
turtles in the southern Hudson Valley, so this might be something to
look out for in SW NS.  -
http://hudsonia.org/programs/conservation-ecology/blandings-turtle/natural-history/
-
http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/4495218?uid=3739448&uid=2129&uid=2&uid=70&uid=3737720&uid=4&sid=21102586151091
- "We studied Blanding's turtle (Emydoidea blandingii) microhabitat in
natural wetlands and wetlands constructed for the turtles in Dutchess
County, New York, USA. ... Microhabitat was determined by radiotracking
individuals to their exact locations and recording habitat variables.
Blanding's turtles were associated with shallow water depths, muck
substrates, and areas of abundant vegetation. Buttonbush (Cephalanthus
occidentalis) had the greatest mean total cover (29%). In the
constructed wetlands, Blanding's turtles were associated with
significantly less cover and warmer water than in the natural wetlands.
Blanding's turtles appeared to be using the constructed wetlands to bask
and forage in the spring and early summer but moved to deeper wetlands
in late summer when the constructed wetlands dried up or became too
warm. For Blanding's turtles, new habitat should contain abundant
emergent vegetation (including buttonbush in Dutchess County and other
areas where the turtles are known to use buttonbush swamps), basking
areas, muck, floating plant material, and submerged aquatic vegetation.
Blanding's turtle's use of constructed wetlands highlights the value of
a complex of connected wetland habitats in providing for the varied
needs of the turtle."

- fred.
          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad