[NatureNS] Fw: Yellow-crowned Night Heron and Philadelphia Vireo

From: Hans Toom <htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2013 09:24:00 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_001C_01CEAAE2.D26A5D80

----- Original Message -----=20
From: Hans Toom=20
To: NS-RBA=20
Sent: Friday, September 06, 2013 9:23 AM
Subject: Yellow-crowned Night Heron and Philadelphia Vireo

Ray Staszko and I visited the back cove of Hartlen Point yesterday. The =
usual trails which were previously well used are now completely grown =
over and the marsh is like the marshes of Borneo. Since walking along =
the edge of the fairways almost got us blacklisted by the golf club =
several years ago and the back service road is also off bounds for the =
same reasons I don't know how others are getting in there. Currently, =
the only practical and acceptable way to get to the service roads at the =
head of the marsh is to follow the old trail down from the north end of =
the tower and even this route is rough. I was exhausted after this trek.

There was a Philadelphia Vireo in the trees above the service road near =
the entrance path from the service road to the salt marsh. We followed =
the shoreline of the salt marsh back to the beach, not an enjoyable =
experience. The Yellow-crowned Night Heron flew out of the marsh while =
we were walking along the cobbly shore and landed in a tree on the west =
side of the cove. We both got distant photos of the Heron sitting and =
flying. A throng of American Redstarts was moving through in all areas. =
We didn't linger to look for other warblers except from the salt marsh =
side.

Hans
________________________________
Hans Toom
Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
http://www.hanstoom.com/

------=_NextPart_000_001C_01CEAAE2.D26A5D80

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message -----=20
<DIV style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; font-color: black"><B>From:</B> <A=20
title=3Dhtoom@hfx.eastlink.ca href=3D"mailto:htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca">Hans =
Toom</A>=20
</DIV>
<DIV><B>To:</B> <A title=3DNS-RBA@yahoogroups.com=20
href=3D"mailto:NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com">NS-RBA</A> </DIV>
<DIV><B>Sent:</B> Friday, September 06, 2013 9:23 AM</DIV>
<DIV><B>Subject:</B> Yellow-crowned Night Heron and Philadelphia=20
Vireo</DIV></DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Ray Staszko and I visited the back cove =
of Hartlen=20
Point yesterday. The usual trails which were&nbsp;previously well used =
are now=20
completely grown over and the marsh is like the&nbsp;marshes of Borneo. =
Since=20
walking along the edge of the fairways almost got us blacklisted by the =
golf=20
club several years ago and the back service road is also off bounds for =
the same=20
reasons&nbsp;I don't know how others are getting in there. Currently, =
the only=20
practical and acceptable&nbsp;way to get to the service roads at the =
head of the=20
marsh is to follow the old trail down from the north end of the tower =
and even=20
this route is rough. I was exhausted after this trek.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>There was a <STRONG>Philadelphia =
Vireo</STRONG> in=20
the trees above the service road near the entrance path from the service =
road to=20
the salt marsh. We followed the shoreline of the salt marsh back to the =
beach,=20
not an enjoyable experience. The <STRONG>Yellow-crowned Night =
Heron</STRONG>=20
flew out of the marsh while we were walking along the cobbly =
shore&nbsp;and=20
landed in a tree on the west side of the cove. We both got distant =
photos of the=20
Heron sitting and flying. A throng of <STRONG>American =
Redstarts</STRONG> was=20
moving through in all areas. We didn't linger to look for other warblers =
except=20
from the salt marsh side.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2=20
Toom<BR>Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://www.hanstoom.com/">http://www.hanstoom.com/</A><BR></FONT>=
</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_001C_01CEAAE2.D26A5D80--