[NatureNS] Chimney Swift Waterside PP

From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2013 22:24:01 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_00A1_01CEADAB.48B8B340

Ken McKenna
Box 218 Stellarton NS
B0K 1S0
902 752-7644

Hi all
Since the last sighting of Swifts I saw in Pictou Co. was Aug 17, I was =
a little surprised to see one flying over Waterside PP this evening =
(5:30). I took a few photos-not great as the bird was very busy with a =
flight that was hard to follow with a camera. I was on my way to check =
to see if the herring were in as I think the fishing season started =
yesterday. I noted about 50 boats moving into position out from the =
Caribou I. lighthouse at about 7 p.m. for the night catch. Gulls, =
gannets and seal numbers can get quite large here during Sept. herring =
season, but since things seem to be just starting, the numbers were not =
impressive- with about 85 Herring Gulls, 50 Greater Black-backed Gulls, =
270 Bonaparte's Gulls and 15 Common Terns on the exposed bars There were =
a dozen visible Gray Seals and 40 Gannets on a quick scan of the =
water.There were only just over 50 Bonaparte's Gulls on the beach at =
Waterside PP.=20
A little pushing brought out 9 species of warbler half way across =
Caribou I  where sun was still shinning on alders- 6 Magnolia, 2 Black =
and White, 1 Black-throated Green, 1 Blackpoll, 2 Northern Parula, 2 =
Nashville, 3 American Redstart, 1 Common Yellowthroat and a single =
Yellow-rumped warbler. Not a bad take for after 6 in the evening.=20

cheers
Ken

------=_NextPart_000_00A1_01CEADAB.48B8B340

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Ken McKenna<BR>Box 218 Stellarton =
NS<BR>B0K=20
1S0<BR>902 752-7644<BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Hi all</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Since the last sighting =
of&nbsp;Swifts&nbsp;I saw=20
in Pictou Co. was Aug 17, I was a little surprised to see one flying =
over=20
Waterside PP this evening (5:30). I took a few photos-not great as the =
bird was=20
very busy with a flight that was hard to follow with a camera. I was on =
my way=20
to&nbsp;check to see if the herring were in as I think the fishing =
season=20
started yesterday. I noted about 50 boats moving into=20
position&nbsp;out&nbsp;from the Caribou I. lighthouse at about 7 p.m. =
for the=20
night catch. Gulls, gannets and seal numbers can get quite large here =
during=20
Sept. herring season, but since things seem to be just starting, the =
numbers=20
were not impressive- with about&nbsp;85 Herring Gulls, 50 Greater =
Black-backed=20
Gulls, 270 Bonaparte's Gulls and 15 Common Terns on the exposed bars =
There were=20
a dozen visible Gray Seals and 40 Gannets on a quick scan of the =
water.There=20
were only just over 50 Bonaparte's Gulls on the beach at Waterside PP.=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>A little pushing brought out 9 species =
of warbler=20
half way across Caribou I&nbsp; where sun was still shinning on alders- =
6=20
Magnolia, 2 Black and White, 1 Black-throated Green, 1 Blackpoll, 2 =
Northern=20
Parula, 2 Nashville, 3 American Redstart, 1 Common Yellowthroat and a =
single=20
Yellow-rumped warbler. Not a bad take for after 6 in the evening. =
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>cheers</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Ken</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>&nbsp;</DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00A1_01CEADAB.48B8B340--