[NatureNS] Chimney Swift Kings Co. also

Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 06:25:20 -0300
From: Rick Whitman <dendroica.caerulescens@gmail.com>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--047d7bdc90be71214c04e6041585

I wonder if there has been some sort of weather-related event involving
Chimney Swifts. I was also very surprised to see one yesterday about 4 PM
at Hortonville, Kings Co. It came flying in over the water from E to W,
flying almost directly towards me at perhaps 50' up. It flew almost over me
and carried on west. Just a couple of minutes earlier, 2 Barn Swallows did
much the same thing. CHSW has no Kings Co. reports on eBird after the
second week of August.
Rick Whitman

On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 10:24 PM, Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca> wrote:

> **
>
> Ken McKenna
> Box 218 Stellarton NS
> B0K 1S0
> 902 752-7644
>
> Hi all
> Since the last sighting of Swifts I saw in Pictou Co. was Aug 17, I was a
> little surprised to see one flying over Waterside PP this evening (5:30). I
> took a few photos-not great as the bird was very busy with a flight that
> was hard to follow with a camera. I was on my way to check to see if the
> herring were in as I think the fishing season started yesterday. I noted
> about 50 boats moving into position out from the Caribou I. lighthouse at
> about 7 p.m. for the night catch. Gulls, gannets and seal numbers can get
> quite large here during Sept. herring season, but since things seem to be
> just starting, the numbers were not impressive- with about 85 Herring
> Gulls, 50 Greater Black-backed Gulls, 270 Bonaparte's Gulls and 15 Common
> Terns on the exposed bars There were a dozen visible Gray Seals and 40
> Gannets on a quick scan of the water.There were only just over 50
> Bonaparte's Gulls on the beach at Waterside PP.
> A little pushing brought out 9 species of warbler half way across Caribou
> I  where sun was still shinning on alders- 6 Magnolia, 2 Black and White, 1
> Black-throated Green, 1 Blackpoll, 2 Northern Parula, 2 Nashville, 3
> American Redstart, 1 Common Yellowthroat and a single Yellow-rumped
> warbler. Not a bad take for after 6 in the evening.
>
> cheers
> Ken

--047d7bdc90be71214c04e6041585

ent involving Chimney Swifts. I was also very surprised to see one yesterda=
y about 4 PM at Hortonville, Kings Co. It came flying in over the water fro=
m E to W, flying almost directly towards me at perhaps 50&#39; up. It flew =
almost over me and carried on west. Just a couple of minutes earlier, 2 Bar=
n Swallows did much the same thing. CHSW has no Kings Co. reports on eBird =
after the second week of August.=A0<div>
ote">On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 10:24 PM, Ken McKenna <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:kenmcken@eastlink.ca" target=3D"_blank">kenmcken@eastlink.ca=
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><u></u>

1S0<br><a href=3D"tel:902%20752-7644" value=3D"+19027527644" target=3D"_bla=
in Pictou Co. was Aug 17, I was a little surprised to see one flying over=
=20
Waterside PP this evening (5:30). I took a few photos-not great as the bird=
 was=20
very busy with a flight that was hard to follow with a camera. I was on my =
way=20
to=A0check to see if the herring were in as I think the fishing season=20
started yesterday. I noted about 50 boats moving into=20
position=A0out=A0from the Caribou I. lighthouse at about 7 p.m. for the=20
night catch. Gulls, gannets and seal numbers can get quite large here durin=
g=20
Sept. herring season, but since things seem to be just starting, the number=
s=20
were not impressive- with about=A085 Herring Gulls, 50 Greater Black-backed=
=20
Gulls, 270 Bonaparte&#39;s Gulls and 15 Common Terns on the exposed bars Th=
ere were=20
a dozen visible Gray Seals and 40 Gannets on a quick scan of the water.Ther=
e=20
were only just over 50 Bonaparte&#39;s Gulls on the beach at Waterside PP.=
=20
=20
half way across Caribou I=A0 where sun was still shinning on alders- 6=20
Magnolia, 2 Black and White, 1 Black-throated Green, 1 Blackpoll, 2 Norther=
n=20
Parula, 2 Nashville, 3 American Redstart, 1 Common Yellowthroat and a singl=
e=20
Yellow-rumped warbler. Not a bad take for after 6 in the evening. </font></=
div>
olor=3D"#888888">

--047d7bdc90be71214c04e6041585--