[NatureNS] Shorebird Survey - Sept. 9 - Conrad's Island Lower Rose Bay

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 02:34:47 +0000

--_e8c500dc-e4a4-4195-81b2-c23a275deb22_

I did a shorebird survey on the evening of Sept. 9 at Conrad's Island at Lo=
wer Rose Bay.  Of note - A good number of green-winged teal on the move.  I=
 counted 48 feeding on the flats.  I had my first dunlin for the season and=
 year.  A red knot puzzled me for quite some time.  What I finally determin=
ed as a red knot was a bird somewhat smaller travelling with three black-be=
llied plovers.  It was a very dull brown overall for color.  The bill was a=
bout the same length of a lesser yellowlegs and straight and the color blac=
k.  The legs were greenish and there was a line through the eye.  The tail =
was black.  Above the tail and up the back was a white patch only seen when=
 the bird was down and walking=2C which is what puzzled me the most and kep=
t me from calling the bird a red knot before I could consult with field gui=
des.   In flight the forward edge of the wing was black with the lower part=
 being whitish or light.  All of these features match a red knot in the gui=
des that I consulted except for the patch of white above the tail and going=
 part way up the back. Has anyone else seen such a feature in a red knot fo=
r winter plumage=2C which might not be depicted in the field guides?
=20
James R. Hirtle
Bridgewater  =20
 		 	   		  =

--_e8c500dc-e4a4-4195-81b2-c23a275deb22_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 12pt=3B
font-family:Calibri
}
--></style></head>
rebird survey on the evening of Sept. 9 at Conrad's Island at Lower Rose Ba=
y.&nbsp=3B Of note - A&nbsp=3Bgood number&nbsp=3Bof green-winged teal on th=
e move.&nbsp=3B I counted 48 feeding on the flats.&nbsp=3B I had my first d=
unlin for the season and year.&nbsp=3B A red knot puzzled me for quite some=
 time.&nbsp=3B What I finally determined as&nbsp=3Ba red knot was a bird so=
mewhat smaller travelling with three black-bellied plovers.&nbsp=3B It was&=
nbsp=3Ba very dull brown overall for color.&nbsp=3B The bill was about the =
same length of a lesser yellowlegs and straight&nbsp=3Band the color&nbsp=
=3Bblack.&nbsp=3B The legs were greenish and there was a line through the e=
ye.&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3BThe tail was black.&nbsp=3B Above the tail and up the ba=
ck was a white patch only seen when the bird was down and walking=2C which =
is what puzzled me the most and kept me from calling the bird a red knot be=
fore I could consult with field guides.&nbsp=3B &nbsp=3BIn flight the forwa=
rd edge of the wing was black with the lower part being whitish or light.&n=
bsp=3B All of these features match a red knot&nbsp=3Bin the guides that&nbs=
p=3BI consulted except for the patch of white above the tail and&nbsp=3Bgoi=
ng part way up the back.&nbsp=3BHas anyone else seen such a&nbsp=3Bfeature =
in a red knot for winter plumage=2C which might not be depicted in the fiel=
d guides?<BR>&nbsp=3B<BR>James R. Hirtle<BR>Bridgewater&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbs=

--_e8c500dc-e4a4-4195-81b2-c23a275deb22_--