[NatureNS] lots of salamanders in woodpile after rain?

From: nancy dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 17:18:09 -0300
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

I moved 2 cords of wood stacked on pallets into my parents shed last week before the rain. There were the usual few Red-backed Salamanders at the bottom of the pile. Paul MacDonald had also mentioned seeing these in his woodpile a while back.

This afternoon I moved only a cord (same row) and there must have been over 100 of these salamanders at all levels. They ranged from tiny (15mm) to over 80mm, including tail. I am guessing they had moved to higher ground to avoid a soaking from the heavy rain?

I was careful to tap the wood junks on the ground to dislodge the salamanders rather than picking them up- probably why I only got a cord in. I had just read a Letter to the Editor in Rural Delivery (Sep 2013 p.8) that indicated one should avoid touching these amphibians b/c

1. Residues on our skin can harm their protective mucous layer and/or transmit toxins
2. The heat from our body can quickly speed up their metabolism to their detriment.

Nancy