[NatureNS] bird id

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 13:29:57 -0300

I have been visited by a number of smaller birds over the past couple days.
They just drop in feed then head out. This am I could hear a lovely, lilting
chatting from the tops of the higher trees. A few minutes ago I noticed
movement working its way down through the pines and out very cautiously came
three birds onto the septic mound. We put feed daily out there for shyer and
non feeder birds.
I don't know what they are. I tried to get a few pictures, they are dismal.
First I thought Fox Sparrows, no; finches, bill was similar and there were
buffy lines but not quite right, they seemed more streamlined.   Wide dark
line passing through eyes and not quite so dark stripes on either side of
the head. Quite a buffy patch under the chin, along the underwing unlike a
white throat. Pale stomach and under tail at the bum..........I am sorry I
just can't seem to get the body parts down. My winter project is to try to
do better with descriptions.

Two were quite similar, the third had less defined colouring. The most
striking thing is that the legs were very orange or possibly bright
orangey/pink. Light was behind them and I only managed to get just outside
my door. Even moving quietly I was scaring them. One of my sparrows landed
amongst them, quite different structure and movement. Something speaks of a
wheatear but no definitely not one of them so it must be  the body
size/shape. Any suggestions?

Still have a hummingbird. As I tried for a photo of the others a hummingbird
buzzed me checking out the lens! I was startled and probably missed the shot
of a lifetime.

Best regards,
Marg Millard, White Point
http://MargMillard.ca