[NatureNS] ambitious slugs

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 10:59:54 -0300

Dear All,                                        Sept 19, 2013
    At the back door we have a metal box about 2 metres high, installed July
2011, which houses a mechanism to raise a wheelchair about 80 cm.

    Some months ago I was intrigued to see feeding tracks in the algal
(algae assumed) growth that has gradually colonized the horizontal upper
surface and subsequently, on a rainy day, saw a slug on that surface. There
is no observable growth of algae on the vertical sides.

    It is evident that they don't climb up that smooth pillar just because
it is there. There must be some leachate, from the algae, that tells a slug
that there is food up there.

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville