[NatureNS] Buttonbush in Point Pleasant Park

Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2013 23:36:23 -0300
From: David Patriquin <patriqui@dal.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca, Dusan Soudek <soudekd@ns.sympatico.ca>

p; - &lt;br&gt;&lt;a href=3D"http://hudsonia
I did some more checking in areas adjacent to where I observed two
buttonbush plants in flower earlier - total of 28 plants counted, 9
with developing fruits, 19 without fruit; 40 to 140 cm height; stem
(basal) diameter 0.7 - 3.5 cm. Buttonbush appears to be firmly
established at this site, with at least 2 generations, likely 3, and
an expanding distribution.

'Glad to pass on site details to non-invasive types!

http://versicolor.ca/buttonbush

Quoting Dusan Soudek <soudekd@ns.sympatico.ca>:

   There is at least one large buttonbush bush at the former
Hugonin estate on McNabs Island, across Halifax Harbour from Point
Pleasant Park. I assume that it had been planted there. There is a
history of use of this shrub in gardening...
Dusan Soudek

On September 5, 2013 at 12:28 PM David Patriquin  wrote:
> I spotted Cephalanthus occidentalis in flower close to a wetland in
> PPP Aug 30th.
> Photos at
>
> http://versicolor.ca/buttonbush
>
> It's an Atlantic Coastal Plain species. 'Not sure if it has been
> reported for Halifax Co. It is not listed as such in the MTRI guide
> (2011).
>
> I revisited the site today (Sep 5th). There are two large plants.
The
> area was trampled and it appearred people had been picking the
flowers.

David Patriquin
http://versicolor.ca