[NatureNS] Buttonbush in Point Pleasant Park

Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 13:19:20 -0300
From: David Patriquin <patriqui@DAL.CA>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca, Dusan Soudek <soudekd@ns.sympatico.ca>

My thought is that it is a recent, likely natural arrival, perhaps
spurred on by warmer climate and site changes following Hurricane Juan
in 2003. There are at least 2 generations and likely 3 generations of
plants present at this site and it appears to be expanding its
distribution. Rosa multiflora (invasive, facultative aquatic) is also
there, more recently, I think - only 2 plants right now, 'will ask
staff to remove them (or to let me do it!)

Quoting Dusan Soudek <soudekd@ns.sympatico.ca>:

> David,
>   the news of a reproducing population of this species in Point
> Pleasant Park is wonderful. Do you see any connection between the
> spread of Buttonbush and the loss of a closed tree canopy over much
> of Point Pleasant Park during Hurricane Juan?
>  Dusan Soudek
>
> -----Original Message----- From: David Patriquin
> Sent: Sunday, September 22, 2013 11:36 PM
> To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca ; Dusan Soudek
> Subject: Re: [NatureNS] Buttonbush in Point Pleasant Park
>
> I did some more checking in areas adjacent to where I observed two
> buttonbush plants in flower earlier - total of 28 plants counted, 9
> with developing fruits, 19 without fruit; 40 to 140 cm height; stem
> (basal) diameter 0.7 - 3.5 cm. Buttonbush appears to be firmly
> established at this site, with at least 2 generations, likely 3, and
> an expanding distribution.
>
> 'Glad to pass on site details to non-invasive types!
>
> http://versicolor.ca/buttonbush
>
> Quoting Dusan Soudek <soudekd@ns.sympatico.ca>:
>

>   There is at least one large buttonbush bush at the former
> Hugonin estate on McNabs Island, across Halifax Harbour from Point
> Pleasant Park. I assume that it had been planted there. There is a
> history of use of this shrub in gardening...
> Dusan Soudek
>

> On September 5, 2013 at 12:28 PM David Patriquin  wrote:
>> I spotted Cephalanthus occidentalis in flower close to a wetland in
>> PPP Aug 30th.
>> Photos at
>>
>> http://versicolor.ca/buttonbush
>>
>> It's an Atlantic Coastal Plain species. 'Not sure if it has been
>> reported for Halifax Co. It is not listed as such in the MTRI guide
>> (2011).
>>
>> I revisited the site today (Sep 5th). There are two large plants.
> The
>> area was trampled and it appearred people had been picking the
> flowers.
>>

> David Patriquin
> http://versicolor.ca

David Patriquin