[NatureNS] bumblebee ID

Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 12:23:35 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Phil Schappert <philjs@eastlink.ca>

>I caught this Bumblebee going through its grooming contortions once
>the sun warmed the S wall of the house this morning. It was almost
>standing on its head at one point (details in captions):
>
>http://www.flickr.com/photos/92981528@N08/9933402866/
>http://www.flickr.com/photos/92981528@N08/9933428044/
>http://www.flickr.com/photos/92981528@N08/9933429534/
>
>ID? And info info about it would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks, Nancy

Looking at http://www.bumblebee.org/NorthAmerica.htm (I've found this
pictorial representation of NA Bombus species very useful), it looks
like a form of B. rufocinctus (which appears to be quite variable and
has forms that lack the rufous abdominal bands).

Phil

--

Phil Schappert, PhD

27 Clovis Ave.
Halifax, NS, B3P 1J3
902-460-8343 (cell)

philschappert.com
imaginaturestudio.ca
philschappert.ca

"Just let imagination lead, reality will follow through..."
                                        (Michael Hedges)