[NatureNS] Some photos from Brier Island on the Weekend

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2013 16:13:14 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--001a11c18e7acac5e204e7b2bf41

Thanks, Angus and others for your comments.

 For the interest of the photographers out there, all the pictures in this
gallery were taken with my Olympus OM-D E-M5 micro 4/3 camera, with the kit
12-50 or the Olympus 100-300 lens. This camera is not supposed to be good
at fast-moving subjects, such as birds in flight, but by using careful
technique and some luck, it can sometimes be done, as in the Sharpie
picture. I also know that if I submitted that picture to any of the really
good bird photo critique forums on line they would say that the bird is
facing the wrong way, the head angle is no good, the bird is too small in
the frame, there isn't enough detail in the belly feathering,and there is
digital noise in the sky! However, I'm with you, and I rather like that
pic.   Of note is the fact that the E-M5 and 12-50 lens seems to work well
for digiscoping -i.e. holding the camera and lens up to the eyepiece of a
spotting scope for taking the picture - the juv. Bald Eagle and Peregrine
pics were taken using that technique.

BTW I like your recent insect pics.

Richard

--
#################
Richard Stern,

--001a11c18e7acac5e204e7b2bf41

=A0For the interest of the photographers out there, all the pictures in thi=
s gallery were taken with my Olympus OM-D E-M5 micro 4/3 camera, with the k=
it 12-50 or the Olympus 100-300 lens. This camera is not supposed to be goo=
d at fast-moving subjects, such as birds in flight, but by using careful te=
chnique and some luck, it can sometimes be done, as in the Sharpie picture.=
 I also know that if I submitted that picture to any of the really good bir=
d photo critique forums on line they would say that the bird is facing the =
wrong way, the head angle is no good, the bird is too small in the frame, t=
here isn&#39;t enough detail in the belly feathering,and there is digital n=
oise in the sky! However, I&#39;m with you, and I rather like that pic.=A0=
=A0 Of note is the fact that the E-M5 and 12-50 lens seems to work well for=
 digiscoping -i.e. holding the camera and lens up to the eyepiece of a spot=
ting scope for taking the picture - the juv. Bald Eagle and Peregrine pics =
were taken using that technique.<br>

 Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 1:47 PM, Angus MacLean <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=
=3D"mailto:cold_mac@hotmail.com" target=3D"_blank">cold_mac@hotmail.com</a>=
&gt;</span> wrote:<br>

x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">

ard. Should win an award!!<br>
Angus=A0<br>=A0<br>
<hr>
chard Stern, <br>Port Williams, NS, Canada<br><a href=3D"mailto:sternrichar=
d@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">sternrichard@gmail.com</a><br>##############=
#####

--001a11c18e7acac5e204e7b2bf41--