[NatureNS] Deer Kill By Bobcat in East Chezzetcook

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2013 18:21:15 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_00CF_01CEBF9C.2E7620A0

Hi All,                            Oct 2, 2013
    As usual it helps to be there. I would defer judgment until I knew =
the circumstances in detail.=20

    But if the kill was not remote from areas that might be frequented =
by children or adults who might be intimidated by a Coyote then I would =
take the deer.=20

    A Bobcat can eat only a token amount a deer in one feeding but will =
hide it for later use. A carcass, at this time of year, will quickly =
bloat and create a downwind scent plume that extends for miles for those =
with a nose for decaying flesh. So Coyotes would likely be drawn to it.=20

    My experience with Bobcats is sparse; two seen on the dead run about =
50 paces away and running from right to left across my direction of =
travel. Two members of our hunting group once left a deer in the woods =
overnight uncleaned but hanging clear of the ground so it would cool off =
as quickly as possible; it began to snow heavily with a brisk cold wind =
just after they shot it, flashlight were weak and there was no hope of =
getting it out before dark so they flagged a trail to the nearest woods =
road. When they got back the next day they found frozen cat tracks =
around the deer but it had eaten only from an area with unusually thin =
hide; the penis and little else.
   =20
Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville

----- Original Message -----=20