[NatureNS] Fw: Ipswich Sparrow(30+), American Pipit(20+) and Lincoln's Sparrow(1)

From: Hans Toom <htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2013 19:34:24 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_006A_01CEC06F.90A972D0

----- Original Message -----=20
From: Hans Toom=20
To: NS-RBA=20
Sent: Thursday, October 03, 2013 7:34 PM
Subject: Ipswich Sparrow(30+), American Pipit(20+) and Lincoln's =
Sparrow(1)

Ray Staszko and I had a memorable evening hunkered against the rocks at =
Duncan Reef with calm winds and a warm sun on our backs. Only the =
annoying small mosquitoes marred the experience albeit slightly. When we =
arrived Ipswich Sparrows and American Pipits were immediately evident. =
The birds scattered when we sat down but after just a few minutes they =
all returned. The pipits and sparrows including Savannah Sparrows in the =
mixed flock were scrolling past as we watched. Most stopped to eat from =
the kelp heaps, perhaps sand fleas or a similar delicacy. It's =
impossible to know how many birds moved past in the two hours we enjoyed =
the spectacle but nontheless I punched out 160 frames of the best =
American Pipit and Ipswich Sparrow photos I've obtained in 12 years of =
photography. They posed in the sun and shadow a mere 4-8 metres distant.

Other attendees at the reef were Spotted Sandpiper, Semipalmated =
Sandpiper, Whimbrel and Black-bellied Plover. Along the trail were: =
Lincoln's Sparrow; Gray Catbird; Yellow-rumped, Palm and Blackpoll =
Warblers; Song and White-throated Sparrow(many); Cedar waxwings(many); =
and Golden-crowned Kinglet.

I actually saw my first American Pipit at the reef last Wednesday. He's =
was just two days ahead of this bump.

I've marked the alternate trails to Duncan Reef. When you arrive above =
the Champagne Dam look to the right and you'll see red flagging. Follow =
the marked trail for another 10 metres and then look to your left for =
the trail that passes above the dam. I've also marked the trail that =
continues on through the woods until it opens up and you can see a clear =
view of Duncan Reef. These trails are good to know if you come down here =
after freeze up when the rocky route below Champagne Dam becomes =
dangerous.

Hans
________________________________
Hans Toom
Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
http://www.hanstoom.com/

------=_NextPart_000_006A_01CEC06F.90A972D0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message -----=20
<DIV style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; font-color: black"><B>From:</B> <A=20
title=3Dhtoom@hfx.eastlink.ca href=3D"mailto:htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca">Hans =
Toom</A>=20
</DIV>
<DIV><B>To:</B> <A title=3DNS-RBA@yahoogroups.com=20
href=3D"mailto:NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com">NS-RBA</A> </DIV>
<DIV><B>Sent:</B> Thursday, October 03, 2013 7:34 PM</DIV>
<DIV><B>Subject:</B> Ipswich Sparrow(30+), American Pipit(20+) and =
Lincoln's=20
Sparrow(1)</DIV></DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Ray Staszko and I had a memorable=20
evening&nbsp;hunkered against the rocks at Duncan Reef with calm winds =
and a=20
warm sun on our backs. Only the annoying small mosquitoes marred the =
experience=20
albeit slightly. When we arrived <STRONG>Ipswich Sparrows</STRONG> and=20
<STRONG>American Pipits</STRONG> were immediately evident. The=20
birds&nbsp;scattered when we sat down but after just a few minutes they =
all=20
returned. The pipits and sparrows including <STRONG>Savannah =
Sparrows</STRONG>=20
in the mixed flock were scrolling past as we watched. Most stopped to =
eat from=20
the kelp heaps, perhaps sand fleas or a similar delicacy. It's =
impossible to=20
know how many birds moved past in the two hours we enjoyed the spectacle =
but=20
nontheless I punched out 160 frames of the best&nbsp;American =
Pipit&nbsp;and=20
Ipswich Sparrow photos I've obtained in 12 years of photography. They =
posed in=20
the sun and shadow&nbsp;a mere 4-8 metres distant.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Other attendees at the reef were =
<STRONG>Spotted=20
Sandpiper</STRONG>, <STRONG>Semipalmated Sandpiper</STRONG>, =
<STRONG>Whimbrel=20
</STRONG>and <STRONG>Black-bellied Plover</STRONG>. Along the trail =
were:=20
<STRONG>Lincoln's Sparrow</STRONG>; <STRONG>Gray Catbird</STRONG>;=20
<STRONG>Yellow-rumped</STRONG>, <STRONG>Palm</STRONG> and =
<STRONG>Blackpoll=20
Warblers</STRONG>; <STRONG>Song</STRONG> and <STRONG>White-throated=20
Sparrow</STRONG>(many); <STRONG>Cedar=20
waxwings</STRONG>(many);<STRONG>&nbsp;</STRONG>and<STRONG> =
Golden-crowned=20
Kinglet</STRONG>.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>I actually saw my first American =
Pipit&nbsp;at the=20
reef&nbsp;last Wednesday. He's was just two days ahead of this=20
bump.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>I've marked the alternate trails to =
Duncan Reef.=20
When you arrive above the Champagne Dam look to the right and you'll=20
see&nbsp;red flagging. Follow the marked trail for another 10 metres and =
then=20
look to your left for the trail that passes above the dam. I've also =
marked the=20
trail that continues on through the woods until it opens up and you can =
see a=20
clear view of Duncan Reef. These trails are good to know if you come =
down here=20
after freeze up when the rocky route below Champagne Dam becomes=20
dangerous.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2=20
Toom<BR>Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://www.hanstoom.com/">http://www.hanstoom.com/</A><BR></DIV><=
/FONT></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_006A_01CEC06F.90A972D0--