[NatureNS] Salamander

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2013 18:55:44 -0300

Dear All,                            Oct 8. 2013
    Having noticed dead air on Naturens I will send this.

    Over the last 32 years I have spent a lot of time in the North Alton
woodlot and until Oct 6 had never seen a Salamander there.
    After snowmelt this spring I piled a few armloads of runners, that had
been under wood moved in the winter, in case I had use for them nearby.
These were exposed to the weather and a shower of conifer needles so were
fairly wet Sunday.
    By now it must be obvious where this is leading. After lifting several
sticks from the pile, for use elsewhere, I uncovered a Salamander; the usual
red-backed I assume. Not wanting to disturb it further I replaced the sticks
quickly and did not take a good look at it. Will check it after having
reviewed what to look for.

Yt, DW