[NatureNS] grasshoppers mating or fighting?

From: nancy dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 10:06:03 -0300
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

I came across these two grasshoppers in the garden yesterday afternoon. I am not sure whether they are mating or fighting:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/92981528@N08/10205884696/

After about a minute the top one took off and the lower one dragged itself away using its front legs. The large hind legs must have been pulled off at some point:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/92981528@N08/10205915795/

Note the red on the tip of the abdomen- I read this is a male feature(?):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/92981528@N08/10205811814/

Can anyone explain?

Nancy