[NatureNS] More on Fairy Rings

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 21:16:23 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_0075_01CEC6C7.2359EAD0

Hi Steve & All,                        Oct 11, 2013
    Those so called fairy rings of the desert were mentioned in the Sept =
2013 issue of National Geographic (un-numbered pp 24&25); location not =
specified beyond southern Africa but Juergens is mentioned. It confuses =
the issue to use the term fairy ring for a simple case of water =
conservation, but anything goes I suppose to hype the hype and keep =
those grants coming.=20
   =20
    The mechanism is similar to the use of rock mulch; e.g. flat rocks =
to cover the soil between depressed rows in ancient Persia and washed =
round rocks to cover the soil of watermelon (and other similar crop) =
fields in some arid regions of China. When visiting Death Valley once =
(USA not Biblical) the only green showing was a narrow band on both =
sides of the paved road.=20

    They are a curious negative of the circular rock walls that used to =
be built around Olive trees in the Middle East; the walls cool off more =
rapidly than the soil so all potential dew is captured by the walls as =
cool night air flows down the valleys and the Olive tree roots below the =
ring are watered by 'drip irrigation'. -- continued below--

   =20
----- Original Message -----=20