[NatureNS] Tree ID Help Request

Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 13:29:01 -0300
From: <plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Cc: Burkhard Plache <burkhardplache@gmail.com>

Hi Burkhard,

I was very puzzled  too, the first time I saw one of these in the south end of Halifax (Waegwoltic Avenue).  It is Phellodendron amurense, aka Amur cork tree.  (I tried to turn it into a viburnum sp.)   The City of Halifax has been planting quite a variety of unusual trees, I find, since Hurricane Juan wiped out so many of our mature hardwoods.  Some of the new choices I really appreciate, but I'd like to know more about others; this one is reputedly invasive.

When John Charles from HRM speaks to the Halifax Field Naturalists about the Urban Forest Master Plan at our November meeting, we should ask him about these.

Cheers,

Patricia L. Chalmers
Halifax