[NatureNS] Lark Sparrow, and others

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>,
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2013 02:24:07 +0000

--_385fd0ac-706a-4153-ae99-4739ef33e33b_

I came across a large movement of American robins today at Vogler's Cove in=
 Lunenburg County.  I counted 100=2C but could hear many others on either s=
ide of the road further in=2C so would estimate between 200-300 of them.  T=
here were more over a one Km area that I saw flying to and fro also.   With=
 the larger group of robins beside the road was a chipping sparrow and a ju=
venile lark sparrow. =20
=20
At Cherry Hill Beach in close to the shoreline=2C inside of the surf to the=
 left of where you park was a red-necked phalarope.  I also had my first tw=
o=20
red-necked grebes for the fall at Cherry Hill. =20
=20
Note:  A longspur sp.  This bird was by the inside pond area.  If you walk =
out across the dunes to where you meet rock and then take the inside route =
by the pond=2C along where the mud meets dune grass this is where the bird =
was tending.  It kept walking along the edge of the dune grass.  It would f=
ly a foot or so and then drop down=2C or sometimes four or five feet.  I go=
t a good look at it a number of times and have my thoughts as to which spec=
ies it is=2C but without photo documentation or others seeing the bird I wi=
ll not comment further.  I did try to get a pic=2C but it moved just as I c=
licked.   I've reported my thoughts to a few birders so hopefully one of th=
em will get a view of the bird before it moves on or better yet a photograp=
h so that we can positively nail it down to species.  Lets just say for now=
=2C that I know that it was not a Lapland Longspur. =20
=20
James R. Hirtle
Bridgewater   =20
 		 	   		  =

--_385fd0ac-706a-4153-ae99-4739ef33e33b_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 12pt=3B
font-family:Calibri
}
--></style></head>
ss a large movement of American robins today at Vogler's Cove in Lunenburg =
County.&nbsp=3B I counted 100=2C but could hear many others on either side =
of the road further in=2C so would estimate between 200-300 of them.&nbsp=
=3B There were more over a one&nbsp=3BKm area that I saw flying to and fro =
also.&nbsp=3B &nbsp=3BWith the larger group of robins beside the road was a=
 chipping sparrow and a juvenile lark sparrow.&nbsp=3B <BR>&nbsp=3B<BR>At C=
herry Hill Beach in close to the shoreline=2C inside of the surf to the lef=
t of where you park was a red-necked phalarope.&nbsp=3B I also had my first=
 two <BR>red-necked grebes for the fall at Cherry Hill.&nbsp=3B <BR>&nbsp=
=3B<BR>Note:&nbsp=3B A&nbsp=3Blongspur sp.&nbsp=3B This bird was by the ins=
ide pond area.&nbsp=3B If you walk out across the dunes to where you meet r=
ock and then take the inside route by the pond=2C along where the mud meets=
 dune grass this is where the bird was tending.&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3BIt kept walk=
ing along&nbsp=3Bthe edge of the dune grass.&nbsp=3B It would fly a foot or=
 so and then drop down=2C or sometimes four or five feet.&nbsp=3B I got a g=
ood look at it a number of times and have my thoughts as to which species i=
t is=2C but without photo documentation or others seeing the bird I will no=
t comment further.&nbsp=3B I did try to get a pic=2C but it moved just as I=
 clicked.&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B I've reported my thoughts to a few birders so hop=
efully one of them will get a view of the bird before it moves on or better=
 yet a photograph so that&nbsp=3Bwe can positively nail it down to species.=
&nbsp=3B Lets just say for now=2C that I know that it was not a Lapland Lon=
gspur.&nbsp=3B <BR>&nbsp=3B<BR>James R. Hirtle<BR>Bridgewater&nbsp=3B&nbsp=
=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B<br id=3D"FontBreak"><BR></font> 		 	   		  </div></body=

--_385fd0ac-706a-4153-ae99-4739ef33e33b_--