[NatureNS] Ross's Goose, Windsor/Curry's Corner/College Rd.

Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 23:21:41 -0300
From: "George E. Forsyth" <g4syth@nspes.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

 Content preview:  Jim et al., Harold Forsyth, Larry Neily, Kathy Postma (visiting
    from Moncton), and I were able to see the Ross's Goose on Saturday (26 Oct)
    morning at about ten. We were able to see the goose briefly from College
   Rd, it flew with many Canada Geese to a field closer to the Chester Rd. We
    drove there and set up in the parking lot of the Worship Center, the Ross's
    Goose was with about six hundred Canada Geese and four Black Ducks. We had
    great looks, as it was close to the edge of the flock, in bright light about
    200-300 meters away. [...]

  pts rule name              description

This message is in MIME format.

--=_5V6zZAe4yMJO57hVCHDUfQ1

  Jim et al.,

Harold Forsyth, Larry Neily, Kathy Postma (visiting from Moncton), and I
were able to see the Ross's Goose on Saturday (26 Oct) morning at about
ten. We were able to see the goose briefly from College Rd, it flew with
many Canada Geese to a field closer to the Chester Rd. We drove there and
set up in the parking lot of the Worship Center, the Ross's Goose was with
about six hundred Canada Geese and four Black Ducks. We had great looks, as
it was close to the edge of the flock, in bright light about 200-300 meters
away.

Jim you were not the only birder to have missed the Hartlin Pt. Goose,
neither Harold nor I had seen a Ross's Goose until Saturday morning.

Thanks for posting,
George Forsyth

Quoting "James W. Wolford" <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>:

> OCT. 24, 2013 - In the afternoon I drove TO WINDSOR and got very
lucky
> --  this WILD GOOSE CHASE went very well indeed!  At about 4:30 p.m.
> spotted a distant flock of about 300 Canada geese to the north of Dill
> Road and close to the Gladys Manning Retirement Community on College
> Road.  The bright sunlight was still on this flock, and I could easily
> see with my binoculars a brilliantly white but diminutive sleeping goose
> (many of the geese were sleeping).
>
>   I was able to spot the geese from about a kilometre toward Chester on
> Hwy. 14 from Curry's Corner (where King St. goes toward Windsor town).
>
>   Then I drove to College Road and drove past the Dill farm (pumpkins)
> to where Manning Drive goes off and up into the Manning Retirement
> Community.
>
>   The geese were quite close to COLLEGE ROAD, and I had to shade my
eyes
> to view them.  I quickly found the sleeping ROSS'S GOOSE, and I again
> was lucky that it and many other geese were just waking up after their
> slumber.
>
>   I am probably the only birder in Central N.S. who did not see
> the ROSS'S GOOSE at the Hartlen Pt. Golf Course months ago, but I am
> experienced with this species from my 12 years in Alberta.  I noted the
> black wing-tips and then could see the very stubby beak as it preened
> and foraged.
>
>   And that's the end of my happy story for today.
>
>   Cheers from Jim in Wolfville

--=_5V6zZAe4yMJO57hVCHDUfQ1

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/loose.dtd">
<head>
<title></title>
</head>
Harold Forsyth, Larry Neily, Kathy Postma (visiting from Moncton), and I were able to see the Ross's Goose on Saturday (26 Oct) morning at about ten. We were able to see the goose briefly from College Rd, it flew with many Canada Geese to a field closer to the Chester Rd. We drove there and set up in the parking lot of the Worship Center, the Ross's Goose was with about six hundred Canada Geese and four Black Ducks. We had great looks, as it was close to the edge of the flock, in bright light about 200-300 meters away.<br>
Jim you were not the only birder to have missed the Hartlin Pt. Goose, neither Harold nor I had seen a Ross's Goose until Saturday morning.<br>
Thanks for posting,<br>
George Forsyth<br>
Quoting "James W. Wolford" &lt;jimwolford@eastlink.ca&gt;:</p>
--=_5V6zZAe4yMJO57hVCHDUfQ1--