[NatureNS] albino Red-tailed Hawk?

From: nancy dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 14:08:23 -0400
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

This morning (~10am) I saw a white hawk in some hardwoods bordering a Christmas tree farm in Lakeview (near E Dalhousie) Kings Co. It flew across the road from its perch and went down after something in a clearing near an abandoned foundation. Then I lost track of it. The only feature I managed to see (no time to grab binos) was a rusty coloured under tail against the sky.

So I guess this is a largely albino Red Tailed Hawk? I often see Red Tails around Christmas Tree Farms in this area. I have noted others with lots of white splotches on their backs, sometimes coalescing to a large white area but never one with as much white as this one had.

Nancy