[NatureNS] Geese near Truro etc.

From: Eric Mills <e.mills@dal.ca>
To: "Nova Scotia Rare Bird Alert (NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com)"
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2013 21:17:08 +0000

Like Ian yesterday, I made an impulse trip to the Truro area today, leaving Halifax very early.

Despite the low tide in the Salmon River estuary, hundreds of Canada Geese were arriving by 8:30am in the fields between Board Landing Road and McWilliam Road South in Onslow.  Eventually it contained about 1500 birds, which soon disappeared into tall corn stubble. There was a ("the") Pink-footed Goose with this flock.

The Barnacle Goose (likely "the Barnacle Goose") seen yesterday by Ian and Bernice McLaren on the Jennings farm, Shore Road, Masstown, was still there today among a small group of Canadas. Between Shore Road and the Salmon River estuary was a very large flock of Canadas, conservatively 2500, that I scoped and re-scoped without finding anything else. Among all the Canadas I estimated that only about 2% were the northern breeding (including West Greenland) Branta canadensis interior, so it appears that there are still plenty of northern geese to come. I would expec t 5-10% by now.

Among other birds: at least 50 American Wigeon grazing on a lawn in North River; 3 Ruddy
Ducks and two American Coots in a gravel pit between Farnham Mill Road and 104 (just E of Hwy 311 in North River); and a Northern Shrike on Board Landing Road, Onslow.