[NatureNS] New For Me

Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2013 17:16:03 -0400
From: Eleanor Lindsay <kelindsay@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Boundary_(ID_fO2eh7N+wrgxahB8MYcf2g)

I have a similar suet feeder to Lois's- and every winter many birds
routinely feed upside down from it as Lois describes - nuthatches,
chickadees, bluejays, starlings and flickers, as well as the odd crow.
It hangs in a tree with lots of branches large and small around it.

Eleanor Lindsay
Seabright , St Margarets Bay

On 09/11/2013 4:37 PM, Lois Codling wrote:
> I saw an A. Crow this afternoon trying to get at our suet feeder,
> James.  He landed on our nearby birdbath, then flew over a few feet
> and managed to peck on the suet from beneath.  Our feeder is hung
> horizontally with a wooden roof over top to try to foil the
> Starlings.  The next time the Crow tried for the suet, he grabbed the
> wire cage and hung upside-down and pecked at the suet briefly! I've
> never seen that before either.
>
> Lois Codling
>
> On 09/11/2013 10:42 AM, James Hirtle wrote:
>>
>> This morning I observed something I have not seen before in all of
>> the years that I've been feeding birds. Maybe others have seen it and
>> it is not as uncommon as I think.  It was an American crow perched on
>> my cage suet feeder and partaking of the suet as it swung back and
>> forth.
>>
>> James R. Hirtle
>> Bridgewater

--Boundary_(ID_fO2eh7N+wrgxahB8MYcf2g)

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
          size="+1"> </font>- and every winter </font>many birds
      routinely fee<font size="+1">d upside down from it as Lois
        describes</font> - nuthatches, chickadees, bluejays, star<font
      well as the odd crow. It hangs in a tree with lots of branches
      large and small around it.<br>
      wrote:<br>