[NatureNS] does eating soap harm Deer Mice

From: nancy dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 06:39:29 -0400
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

A friend, who used to inspect old houses for potential buyers, said he always knew there were Deer Mice around b/c he would find chewed up soap bars and candles. Like Deer Mice, my Labrador also eats soap (and balls of wool and…) due to the tallow or lanolin present. But when he eats these items they are soon thrown up- rejected as undigestible.

I can see how a candle might go down OK but do not understand how Deer Mice survive after eating soap? Isn't it as impossible for them to digest as it is for the Lab? Or do they just hoard it and never actually eat it?

Nancy