[NatureNS] Ross's Goose near Windsor and other goosey news

From: Eric Mills <e.mills@dal.ca>
To: "Nova Scotia Rare Bird Alert (NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com)"
CC: Anne Mills <ocotillo8@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 00:48:30 +0000

--_000_2870e1f8fb9f40c1aa892e9341e8023dBL2PR03MB179namprd03pro_

Getting to Lower Rose Bay via Truro and Windsor is definitely not the route=
 of choice, but it produced some good sights today.

First, this afternoon I was able to locate the Ross's Goose documented by I=
an McLaren in October. It was with a flock of about 200 Canadas at the W en=
d, the dead end, of Redden Road,  which runs off Hwy 14 just W of Windsor. =
This flock has been using the area for some time, but in inaccessible field=
s. Today the flock was just SE of the end of Redden Road, easily scopeable =
from an expanded parking area there.

Earlier in the day in the Onslow area there was some pretty impressive goos=
e activity. I guestimated about 4000 Canadas, most of them in Onslow on the=
 Salmon River or in nearby fields and S of the Shore Road in Masstown. For =
a time during the morning flocks of geese were flying in all directions. Ne=
w ones appeared to be arriving on the brisk and very cold NW wind. I found =
the resident Pink-footed Goose first thing with Canadas near Board Landing =
Road and later saw it on the river near the South Tidal Bore Road and in fi=
elds W of the North Tidal Bore Road. There was no sign of the long-staying =
Barnacle Goose, but it could easily have stayed hidden in the masses of Can=
adas on rough ground or been in I flock I didn't detect. I'm sure I didn't =
miss it in flight.

Other species included flocks of Horned Larks and a light Rough-legged Hawk=
 in Onslow and a fine adult male Northern Harrier near the goose flock at t=
he end of Redden Road, Windsor.

Eric L. Mills
Lower Rose Bay, NS

--_000_2870e1f8fb9f40c1aa892e9341e8023dBL2PR03MB179namprd03pro_

<head>

rgin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;}</style>
</head>
=3D"ltr">
t-family: Calibri,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 12pt; color: #0000=
00; margin: 0">
Getting to Lower Rose Bay via Truro and Windsor is definitely not the route=
 of choice, but it produced some good sights today.
First, this afternoon I was able to locate the Ross's Goose documented by I=
an McLaren in October. It was with a flock of about 200 Canadas at the W en=
d, the dead end, of Redden Road,&nbsp; which runs off Hwy 14 just W of Wind=
[...]
 I didn't miss it in flight.<br>
Other species included flocks of Horned Larks and a light Rough-legged Hawk=
 in Onslow and a fine adult male Northern Harrier near the goose flock at t=
he end of Redden Road, Windsor.&nbsp;
Eric L. Mills<br>
Lower Rose Bay, NS<br>

--_000_2870e1f8fb9f40c1aa892e9341e8023dBL2PR03MB179namprd03pro_--